What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anoles

What's up everyone,

Ok I've read everything I can about anoles. Almost all authors talked about keeping only one male per setup and that the best way to tell if you have a male is to look for postanal pores. I really want to keep many anoles in one large terrarium, so I want to stay away from males. Can anyone please give me a definitive answer about what these postanal pores look like? No matter how many pictures of the undersides of anoles I've seen I can never figure out where the postanal pores are or even what they look like.

Thanks for the help

From my experiance, they are a V shape (not the individual pores, but the group of them, and they are little depressed "dots" or "bumps".
wink.gif
Hope this helps, any questions, just ask!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Another way to tell is, when you hold the anole, look right under it's jaw, on its neck. VERY GENTLY pull just a little on the pinkish flap of skin. When it comes out all the way, look at it. It should be a pinkish red color. If it's very small, it's a female. If it's large, it's a male. I usually don't have to use either of these methods, because, over the years, I've learned to simply look at an anole, even from a distance, and instantly be able to tell if it's a male or female.

Good luck!
FTG

My cousin Kept 2 males and a female together once.... It didn't turn out pretty......

When I got thier I thought the cage smelled disgusting,so I investigating, I turned over a "hide log" and saw to my horror :

A DEAD ANOLE CARCESS DECOMPOSING WITH INSANE CRICKETS GORGING THEMSELVES ON THE POOR MALES TATTERED CARCESS

Crickets are so disgusting...

I have two males in a large grow chamber, about 5ft high.
I have had no problems with them fighting. Sometimes they even sleep next to each other on the same stick. They have plenty of room if they wanted to stay away from each other but they are always in the same spot. I asked for a male and a female when I bought them but I got two males instead. I was thinking about getting two females to put in there, what do you guys think?

With the average herper, anoles are usually kept in like 10gallon sized enclosures (Am I right people
wink.gif
). In that situation, Only one male should be kept with anyother female. With very large enclosures (like Ozzy's: was it 5ft high?), there is enough room to set a territory for each male. Females may be added in, BUT the males may induce in combat for the larger female.

Males won't usually kill eachother, but may do so passivly. The larger and dominant male may cause an awful lot of stress to the smaller one, causing weight lose, etc===>death.

To sex anoles, I like to look for a dewlap (The thing Flytrapgrl is talking about).

Hello,

So I've read that it is fine to keep green anole and brown anoles together. Is it really ok? Has anyone tried this? Is there a danger that the two species will interbreed?

No, they should be fine. For years I had Green Giant(big male greenie), Emerald(female greenie and GG's mate), and Lizzie(sassy little female brownie)together in the same cage and they all did fine. Just don't put a baby greenie with an adult brownie. Brownie's have been known to eat(yes, I said eat)baby greenies. I wouldn't worry about interbreeding between species, because it's rare. But if the species do interbreed, I don't think there would be any danger... why the heck would there be danger??? I'd love to see that!!!

Back