What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft in frog vivarium?

Im setting up a 40 gallon Vivarium for my Firebellied toads. Its half water half land setup. I want to add some cool plant and saw the VFT and though I would consider it. But are these two compatible? I heard that firebellies have alot of skin toxins, but it doesnt seem to hurt the live moss I have in his tank right now. And he doesnt bother the fake plant I have in his tank either. I just wanted to be sure before I spent the money to get a VFT. My new tank should be great for a VFT though. A constant 80degrees and 70-90% humidity. I have 1-2" of gravel covered with 1-2" of peat moss. For lighting I have 2-4' full spectrum Flouescent bulbs. They are 3300 lumens each. Thanks for your help!

I think it might work, maybe you could throw a sundew or a butterwort in thier a nepethes like ....N Venticosa would do well to, hope it works
biggrin.gif

I would go with Nepenthes gracilis, because 80*F is pretty warm, and N. gracilis's mouth would be to small for the toads to enter... GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

So would a Venus Fly Trap be okay with the frogs? Also what should I feed them and what is cycling? Thanks

fire bellies are a tropicl/semi-tropical anuran (frogs and toad group). They do not require or want a cool period in winter in which temps drop and photoperiod (lighting) becomes shorter. I doubt a VFT will do well in a terria for these herptiles, BUT, you may be able to do this:

Buy a venus flytrap. Repot it in a 5 inch pot (if not already in a pot) and keep it in good condition (sunlight, water, etc). Once the vft seems to be thriving, make a hole in the peat/gravel area in your terria. Sink the pot into the hole. Keep it watered from the soil in the pot and make sure it gets plenty of light. Once winter comes, take the pot out, recover the hole, and let your vft go into dormancy outdoors, etc.

Good luck-Zach

Well I really wanted to just add a bunch of plants directly to the soil. I might just go with something easier to maintain. I will kepp you posted on my 40 gallon vivarium

Yep, you cant have a Regular VFT in there if you want to add it into something that doesnt need a period of rest, unless you would like to listen! Da da da!!! And get a nepenthes, as they are tropical and do not require any period of rest.

Like I said earlier, Nepenthes gracilis doesn't require dormancy, and the conditions of your vivarium are perfect for this plant!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Thanks everyone for your help in answering my questions. I have added my first plant...a 4 leaf clover...
confused.gif
Its a start. I need to save up some cash before I buy any cool plants. But ill keep you posted on my vivarium.

Lol, be careful, he might eat the clover. Anyways, its only 12 dollars I think for a nep.

My frogs only eat things that move. So everything must be live. Im putting my frogs in there tonight. Ill keep you posted.

Hi onefstsnake do you think you can post a picture of your vivarium cause i was thinking of getting 2-3 fire bellied toads for a 10 gallon vivarium.

smile.gif
Thanks
smile.gif

Back