What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish in the pond?

Detail:   55 gal tank, houses 1 male Mountain Horn Dragon (Iggie), set up is 1/3 water, 2/3 land planted, with tons of logs and climbing spots across the top.

The water area is contained in (2) buried plastic containers, the larger container set up for filtration (using live plants), the smaller the pool area.  I constructed a water fall that flows down to the small container, over the edge to the larger and back up. The small container holds at least 2 gallons of water and I would say is 4-6 inches deep. Works pretty nifty if I say so myself :)

Question:  Is there a fish that would live happy in the pond and not be a conflict with Iggie?  I have not seen Iggie ever use the pool, although that is not to say for sure he doesn't, cause Iggie only seems to move when no one is looking.  He could take a daily dip while we are out durning the day.

I thought of a betta, but not sure since he's carnavour too if Iggie does take a dip would he get nipped at?  Another problem I think is betta, being a jumper may end up in the dirt and dieing a painful death when noone is home.  Also I use distilled water in the pool, I suppose I could switch it over to tap, (sure would be cheaper) as it gets topped off about once a week, although one of the plants is a ping and I'm thinking of trying a sundew later if the ping hangs in there.

Well, just wondering if Iggie could get a tankmate of the water kind.  Not wanting a frog, but would like my hard work in the pool to be of use.  Iggie drinks from daily water spray, so I'm not worried he'll drink from the pool

Thanks for your thoughts

I can only answer to your nipping question. My question is: Why the HECK would a betta nip at a large lizard??? lol... a betta would have no reason to nip at a large lizard. It's not like the betta is thinkning he can kill him and eat him
wink.gif
So no, the betta would definitely not bite the lizard. They ain't piranhas
wink.gif

Good luck!
FTG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Aug. 14 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can only answer to your nipping question. My question is: Why the HECK would a betta nip at a large lizard??? lol... a betta would have no reason to nip at a large lizard. It's not like the betta is thinkning he can kill him and eat him
wink.gif
So no, the betta would definitely not bite the lizard. They ain't piranhas
wink.gif

Good luck!
            FTG[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
hehe, you may be wrong there flytrapgurl. my betta would always nip my fingers when i stuch them in the fish tank and tried to hand feed him... drew blood once too! If the betta bit the lizards tail, the lizard might drop it (thinking he's being preyed on) I would get little minnows, guppies and danios for the pond. they dont need to be heated, and distilled water is fine for them.

EDIT: I would not use tap water, even if you add conditioner. if the lizard drinks out of it, the conditioner in the water would make him ill. And if you dont put in conditioner in for the fish, it literally chokes them to death! (I think the chlorine has the same effect to fish as corbom monoxide to us)
Stick with the distilled!
smile.gif

MHL's are carnivores that have just been given much respect as a herptile pet. It is in the very latest Reptile magazine (Cover Story&#33
wink.gif
. You shuld pick it up. Good luck-Zach

in that reptiles magazine with Mountain Horned Dragons it mentions that someone had theirs dragon eat their pet betta, so if you do put fish in the pond your dragon may eat them. Im not saying dont put them in there, just dont get too attached because they may become a meal some day

ktulu

Wow, I have been very remiss to not check back on this post I started, sorry but thanks for the responses.

So far I've not added anything to the pond, although I have some triops I considered putting in just for the heck of it. Iggie does not seem to use the pond for drinking or swimming. I am pleased to say that I have a ping and adalea growing quite well in the waterfall I made, so now I'm not sure that the fertilizer created by a fish in the water would be good for the cp's that the water flows over. I always seem to create these selfmade deliemas LOL.

I have yet to get the reptile magazine, but have to check into it. Marcia, the author, is a regular on the Kingsnake forum and is most helpful about raising MHD's. Iggie is a cool, but very laid back fellow and a great pet.

Thanks again all

Back