What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can fish go in this topic too?

• Thread starter Shauntell
  • Start date
yes shauntell koi are very neat. and the are also smart. they will eat out of my hand. il try to get a pic of that soon

my pacus will also eat out of my hand.(they sometimes mistake my fingers for food lol) I alwas wanted koi thats cool that some of you guys have some.I heared of a dog and his owners koi fish bonded in some way and they lick eachother it was on tv
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Maehem- I'm so worried about having to leave all my plants behind (or mail em' all to you guys) when we make our big move.
sad.gif
I wouldn't want to leave my fish or my plants. I think of them as my other children.
I saw on this video koi practically jumping out of the water to get food that someone had put on the edge of their pond. It was on the video that came with our tank. There are so amazing.
My betta will eat blood worms out of my hand. I love that aggro little fish. He is just so unfriendly and cute. He is constantly trying to attack himself and everything else for that matter.

wow.gif
9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shauntell @ Sep. 30 2002,06
wow.gif
9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maehem- I'm so worried about having to leave all my plants behind (or mail em' all to you guys) when we make our big move.  
sad.gif
  I wouldn't want to leave my fish or my plants.  I think of them as my other children.
I saw on this video koi practically jumping out of the water to get food that someone had put on the edge of their pond.  It was on the video that came with our tank.  There are so amazing.  
My betta will eat blood worms out of my hand.  I love that aggro little fish.  He is just so unfriendly and cute.  He is constantly trying to attack himself and everything else for that matter.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
don't get rid of your fish or your plants! I tansported my fish in a small stirofome (sp?) container and at every hotel I brought them in and pluged my air pump in and airated them (at this time of year you would have to get one of those things that you plug in to the cigarete lighter and convertes the heat to two outlets.) for your plants I would put the plants in a styrofome (sp?) container an put that popcorn stuff around the pots so they don't shift around. For the hot house plants I don't know what to do. maybe it is still hot enough for them? if you are flying to your new house, you could ship the plants like petflytrap? but for the fish I don't know. ask how petsmart ships their fish. Hope I could help.
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

Spectabilis73

Shauntell,
Cichlids should be kept with other cichlids. They get too big and are too aggressive to get along with most other fish. I had my beta in a 40 gallon tank with large cichlids. They were too busy chasing each other around to bother the beta too much.
biggrin.gif

Larry, I bet the beta didn't try anything with them either.

S73- I'll have to try that instead. We're driving and because of my daughter it's probably going to end up being a four day trip. I was all ready thinking of having someone mail my favorite plants after we were there, but probably not all of them. There's just too many to afford moving and mailing plants.

no no no, don't leave your fish behind! As I mentioned I did, and I miss them terribly esspecially the ghostknife (he would only eat if hand fed and even though it kind of "icked" me out[it was the beef heart we fed him] it was still really cool, even when he bit.

I can't recall what other fish you have, but for most as Spectabilis73 mentioned you can transport them in styrofoam containers or even the regular plastic beverage coolers and battery powerd airpumps are cheap. As for the betta, I know from personal experiance that betta are tuff. We transported one 4000 miles by car (hitting a major blizzard on the trip) in a 1 gal apple juice jug and he is none the worse for ware. The wonderful thing about betta is that they are labryinth fish (meaning they can breath from the surface) so as long as the water stays realitatively warm they will be fine.

As for the suggestion on how Petsmart ships their fish ( I am cringing at the thought) Petsmart does what works best for Petsmart, and most other large pet chains... it does not however work for those of us who have attachments to our fish and care that all of them arive alive. Not to knock large pet chains or their suppliers it's just that it's an entirely different situation when you are shipping hundreds (somethimes thousands) of fish and have really no investment in them... a 30% mortality rate is just fine in their oppinon, I doubt it is for you, and how you are moving ie. Car/plane will make a difference in how you ship them. msg me if you need suggestions I will be happy to help.
smile.gif

Mae

Maehem- I'm going by car and I'll message you.
I don't want to think about Pets Mart either. I've seen when they get shipments of there feeder fish in. There is no slow adjustment for them just dump em' in. I asked once what was wrong with them and they said that they were in shock and usually were for about 24 hours.
I bet they don't do that for there more expensive fish though. That's just the 25 cent ones. I think all establishments no matter how big (and therefore can afford to lose more without losing money) need to take into consideration that these are living things and not just a way to make money. I think people would be willing to pay more adn wait longer if they were treated better. (less chance of them being unhealthy or depressed that way) At least I'd be willing to wait and pay more.
Shauntell

YES!!!! I am not the only person who thinks fish should have rights!!! Thankyou Shauntell I thought I was alone!! KNowing that I will spare everyone the "gold fish death bowls" lecture.

Anyway, sorry I haven't answeredyour PM yet Shaunell... Something has gone funny with my browser settings and I can't access anything past the "new message" window... fiance tells me it will be fixed by tomorrow so I will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Maehem- I'll go off on it for you just cuz' those make me so angry. Keeping fish in bowls that are just big enough for them to swim around in a circle is so disturbing. I am giving a fish tank with all necessary supplies right now to a person who apparently thought that bettas like being kept in tiny bowls. That's like saying humans like being kept in porto potties with a slot for food. I just don't understand people.

Ahh, yes, bettas... That is a really sore subject with me.. a few months ago I was in a new pet store that had the betta in the little cups (@#$%^@&@%#@!!!&#33
wink.gif
I went to the manager and told her that these were deplorable conditions. She had the gall to call over the rest of her staff so they could all tell me that the cups were the perfect environment for betta. Anyone that think these fish are happy in a cup has problems, these fish (all fish for that matter)need room to be happy, and I might add healthy. Give me a break people!!! Like someone is going around putting out little plastic cups for the fish to live in in the wild!! They live in Canals, rice paddy's etc... NOT LITTLE TINY TORTURE CHAMBERS!!

Okay, I'm calm now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carnivorous23 @ Sep. 27 2002,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't see why not.
As for fish as part of a terrarium, I've been trying to put guppies into the water dish of my lizard to keep it clear of algae - and found that he really likes guppies. I suppose that's good, they make a fine source of calcium.
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ROFL! Thats great. Someone should do a comic strip on that.

Chiclids are a very large family of fish. Some are only two inches and very peaceful, some can grow two feet and are very mean. you just have to do some research. Tetras are the same way ( piranahs are tetras). Mollies are vegitarians so they probably didn't attack the betta ( tetras would though). Bettas are usually only mean to other bettas. One thing I have learned, fish always change the rules when you least expect it. good luck, Jack

Back