What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keeping giant mealworms alive

i have been successful at keeping superworms alive...none of them had died, except by my gecko. but mealworms and giant mealworms seem to be dying like crazy...anyone know how to keep them alive, other than sticking it in the fridge? thanx

look up books at the library I found one telling everything on how to take care of mealworms

I have a small mealworm farm and all I do is keep them in oat bran and a little oatmeal. And for food I toss in a whole apple. They usually devour it in a fw weeks. Also, DO NOT KEEP THEM WET OR LET MOLD FORM. It will ruin your farm. Also make sure the oat bran media they will live in is nice and dry. They will hatch into beetles and lay eggs so the farm will become self productive within a short amount of time.

Hi,

I have 2 notes to add to the above post. While it is important that the food not be wet so as to avoid mould, it is also important that the air humidity be relatively high. It's often recommended to put a slice of fruit on top of the food to add moisture to their environement. The fruit should be removed and replaced once it starts to spoil. Probably not a bad idea to place the fruit on a small dish or piece of plastic so it's not in direct contact with the food, which could spoil if it's touching it.

Also, I have noticed that my mealworm culture cycles, with periods of high population, and fairly long periods of nothing at all. This is normal sometimes, and I think it can take up to 6 months for the eggs to hatch.

Take care!

Chris F.

VF Trapper -

The information everyone has posted here is correct. One thought, though...if you are talking about GIANT mealworms, these are common mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) that have been treated with a hormone that prevents them from pupating into a beetle, making them get larger than a regular mealworm. If you want to raise them, use regular (untreated) mealworms and follow the basic directions everyone has shared.

Back