What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check this out!

• Thread starter Wenny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    turtle
W

Wenny

Hi,
I'm pretty new here, so I have no idea if anyones seen this yet and posted it, but I found this tonight.  I'm buying some of them too!

RED EARED SLIDER TURTLE ORDER WEBSITE

They're really cute, and I'm going to order them for my boys! I think they'd really like them!

~Wen~

I'm curious, how in the world do they get their turtles, "Samonella free"?
confused.gif
I'd like to know, I'll never forget when I got samonella from my turtle! And I don
t want to get it again from my alligator lizard or my gopher snake...

A WORD OF WARNING: IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSESS A TURTLE, TORTISE, OR OTHER CHELONID UNDER 4 INCHES IN LENGTH.  Many places still sell them, including that website, but it is against the law. The only way to posess them legally is for certified breeders or people with educational permits. It is technically illegal to sell them at that size, too. They have to be at least " Salmanella-free" I do not believe is possible, this is just a sales quirk... Find a better pet like a hamster, rabbit, leopard gecko, cornsake, etc. Don't forget to RESEARCH! Just my $0.02.    
                         Good LUCK!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

P.S. This was not meant to be offensive, just informative.

You are correct, lithopsman. It is illegal, unless you are buying them for educational purposes. All herps/most animals have some level of salmonella for digestion (or was that e.coli?). my 2centz
smile.gif

Um ok Im not sayin anyone is wrong here cause I dont know crap about the subject but what if I had a male and female turtle that ended up having babies? Would they be illegal as well?

AWWWWWWW MAN,
You guys take the fun out of it!!!
wink.gif

I've been checking it out, and they can't be Salmonella free (it's impossible i believe), but if you do remember to sanitize your hands after touching them (kinda like when you touch raw meat) you will reduce your chances drastically.

And, uh, would you believe it if I told you it WAS for educational purposes??
wink.gif

Thanks for the concern all, and I'm still researching it a bit more before I make any formal decisions on the matter!

~Wen~

Ok, if your turtle lays eggs, you have to destroy the eggs or give them to the local ZOO. Wenny, giving baby turtles to your kids as "educational pets" is not a legitamite educational purpose. You have to obtain permits to be considered "educational". Good luck!

lithopsman & UKC,
If a pair of turtles breed true and produce a cluth, you are able to keep them, it is just you may not sell them until they exceed the 4" shell limit.

Lithopsman, Where on earth did you hear that? If that was true the only Chelonians you'd see for sale 'cept for the black market would be all parasite infested,sick or old wild caught specimens. It is legal to breed and keep them but illegal to sell them without permits,etc. until they reach the 4" shell limit what I'm not clear on is if they mean the width or length of the shell :?

It means the length of the shell. There are several technical boundaries, and I learned them from being a HARD-CORE herpetologist.(as a hobby, not profession) For some reason you are allowed to keep the turtles if you have bred them, if you document the fact that you bred them yourself. Just my $0.06
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Back