What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albino corn snake

• Thread starter Tim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    albino
debbiesnake.jpg

Wow, that's one awsome alamanistic corn, and huge too! It has to be as thick as her wrist
wink.gif

It's an escape artist, and grows like a weed.

Tim,

I know exactly how you feel. Have you tried giving it a shoe/box/pot to hide in? Mine wouldn't stop escaping until I gave it a good hiding space.

I have no knowledge about snakes so pardon the dumb question...but...I thought albino meant absence of pigment, but your snake obviously has "color" since you can see a pattern. Is albino just a figure of speech? Does it have red eyes?

Suzanne

I'm not sure, I'll let one of the experts answer you.

Hey Suzanne!
Reptiles are unlike mammals as far as albanism goes. The genes for color in mammals are located on one chromosome, so if you have an albino gene, you're albino for all color traits. Reptiles, on the other hand, have their color genes on three different chromosomes, so they can be albino for red, brown/black, or yellows.....seperately. I know, it gets confusing. I used to raise corn snakes and figuring the genetics could be a NIGHTMARE!!! take care!!!

Back