What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constipation

I bought a nigerian yellow uromastyx and i was told i couldnt put it in sand because of inpaction. But it comes from a desert climate wich has sand. My delemma is i really want a natural looking terrarium so is this somthing i could do and im not sure if it was impacted how bad it could hurt it??  

anson

If you buy special sands such as Calci Sand or other Calcium carbonate based sands that are sold in most pet stores. The reason that impactions don't happen in nature, I'm not sure of, but it's better to stay on the safe side... GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

You can also buy 25 pound bags of Victorian ground-up walnut shell sand. It's made for birds, but I use it for my leopard gecko. Whenever he gets some in his mouth, he'll go to all lengths to get it out. It must be bitter LOL
tounge.gif
Anyways, it's also not supposed to impact, so that will work. And it looks exactly like sand, too, it's just ground-up walnut shell.

Sand is a tricky substrate to work with. Uro's are pretty large as adults, so they will do fine on a substarte of fine grain sand. (the larger the animal, the easier it is to pass some sand in some cases). If you are starting with a baby or yearling, keep it on newspaper for now, as the young are eating a more insect to greens diet. Feed greens in a dish. When adult, they tend to eat more greens, so as long as it eats in a dish, he won't get any sand. If you are willing to feed the Uro in a seperate box/tank without sand, it will be fine for the Uro to be sand always.

Calcium sand-I have read that these work well, but some herpers have said they caused an imbalance of calcium in herps if digested too many times.

Walnut (Crushed)-I have tried this item with my Bearded Dragon. It caused stains on his underbelly where the shells were wet. I have heard the these shells may be able to cause cuts in the mouths of animals when accidentaly eaten.

Your best bet, lithopsboy, if your Uro is younger, keep him on newspaper. It won't be as natural as sand, but it might help out in the long run. Besides, it is easier to clean-just remove the paper and add new pieces. If your Uro is an adult or larger, smooth sand sounds ok. Check the Uromastyx page on kingsnake.com for more help.

Leo's often ingest sand because they're looking for calcium which is obviously why they invented calcium sand for leo's just but a snapple cap of calcium in the tank.with uro's I'm not sure really follow Zach's advice

Back