What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball python *royal python*

Ok...I spoke with my mom, and my sister...and we convinced my mom into letting me get a snake for Christmas...I've been reading up on it, and some people say Ball Pythons are good beginners snakes...and I love them! I've asked around and some people have told me what to get for a terrarium.

I was thinking about a 30 gallon long with a long branch that goes from the top of one side, to the bottom of the other side. On the left side would be a timed heat lamp and a heat mat at the bottom. On the right side would be a "cave" and water source. For substrate, I was going to use that astro-turf stuff...wondering if this was ok.

Please help guys...if I need anything else for it tell me please!
Oh yea..I'm gunna have a thermo and humid measure thing..you know the things that stick on the side of the tank...thanks...Please tell me if I need anything else for the snake.

Oh..do any of you breed Ball Pythons, or know who does? I don't want to get a wild one.

ball pythons are a good beginner python, but to me and many other herpes, the best beginner snake is a corn snake, a memeber of the colubrid snakes. But ball pythons are easy too, expect for one main thing....

1st off, lets go into the caging requirements:

a 30 gallon will be fine for a relativly average sized adult snake. A substarte of aspen shaving is best (NEVER CEDAR). Aspen destributes heat well and dries up fecal matter quickly. Your heating sounds ok, but i have found that just an undertank heater is good enough for a ball python, but the added spot light will simulate a basking spot for your snake. A hide area in both the warm and cool side is best, but having one in just one side is ok, but it may be hard after a meal if it wants a nice place to thermoregulate. Go with one hide ara on each side if possible. THe branch is good, but ball pythons are more of a ground dwelling snake, but a branch may cause some climbing, so thats good. A water bowl is a must, especially one large enough for it to soak in.

Feeding is the one problem with ball pythons. If you get a nice Captive Bred one, it should be feeding on mice without problems. Try to go away from wild caught or non-feeding individuals, even if they are cheaper. THey dont usually eat well and may "starve" for weeks, or even months.

The best place for a information on ball pythons is kingsnake.com

Good luck-Zach

bally pthons are easy and addorable , i have one my self named regius . i think your your doing is ok already , a tip is they like to take a bath in some warm water so provide a large water dish but its nto very nescesarry . most ball pythons found in stores are captive bred , the wild ones that are imported are more harder to care for and are picky and stuborn .

Ok...so I have a 30 gallon long tank, two hide areas, one in the warm and one cold...a branch up towards the basking light, a heatwarmer, a large water supply(should I put this in the cool area?),and....cedar? what is that? i don't think i get that around here in florida....I was going with that astro stuff...because when it went to he bathroom i could switch it out with another piece....

Another question...what does it feed on when it is a baby? I wanted to get a hatchling. Crickets I guess? I'm gunna go out and buy this stuff tonight...

Could anyone tell me the average price of a 30 gallon long tank? Also, does anyone have any babies they want to sell?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

cedar shavings... if you go to a pet store, look at the hampsters for sale. see that stuff that kinda looks like huge pencil shavings? those are cedar shavings.
biggrin.gif
Every pet store carries them.
smile.gif

EDIT: NEVER use cedar! Get aspen... cedar killed my gopher snake!

go with the astro turf if it is eaier and already availabailable to you . baby ball python feed on baby mice called pinkies that are really small , do not catch your own food , buy froma stroe where the anaimals are cleaner with not dieseases or parasites . you'll be lucky if you could get a hatcling and even luckier if you can afford a hatching as the younger they get the more expensive in some cases . you may need to reconsider and elatn more about snakes before you even think crickets are part of there diet . i can't tell you the average price as every place and type of tank has its own pricing and also no selling on the forums , whether its plants or anaimals ,if you do then i adivise you to use the pm system rather then start a buisness .

spec ,as ceph has already entioned , cedar shavings are a big no no for reptiles , as it is toxic and the oils and fumes from the shavings can be harmful and the snake can choke on them at some point , aspen shavings are much better but i prefer to use orchid orchid bark , astro turf , or newspaper ( ever hated somebody that is a celebrity and there pic id in the enwspaper , muahahaha , put the pic where your anaiml likes to crap , take that george bush
tounge.gif
and osama bin ladin )

CEDAR Is A DANGEROUS substarte for herptiles. It contains a harmful oil that can irraitate reptiles (safe for mammals though).

Astro-Turf is ok, but aspen shaving will allow for burrowing, etc. THe astro turf will work, though.

Feeding: Babies should be large enough already to eat mouse fuzzies. Fuzzies is a herp term meaning baby mice with fur but without their eyes opened. If possible, feed pre-killed or frozen-thawed mice. It will be easier to feed the snake that in the long run.

A large water bowl provides needed humidty without saturating the cage with too much dampnesss. An excessive amount of moisture will cause respitory problems with herps. A lager water bowl will allow for the snake to soak, which usually helps pass feces and helps with shedding.

CRICKETS!? Lol
alien.gif
, im sorry but pythons eat bigger prey
tounge.gif

An average price for a 30 gallon tank can be quite expensive at chain petstores (petco, etc.) they run about $50.00 there.

Good luck-Zach

oops, I'm sorry, i accidentaly said cedar, i meant aspen
confused.gif

NEVER USE CEDAR, IT KILLED MY SNAKE!
mad.gif
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 01 2003,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">oops, I'm sorry, i accidentaly said cedar, i meant aspen
confused.gif

NEVER USE CEDAR, IT KILLED MY SNAKE!
mad.gif

sad.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
are you sures thats what killed your snake or was it because it wanted some bbq ribs and frog leg to its diet , j/k , yah , cedar is dangerous , stay away from it and if the shavings are'nt labled of what type then its better to be safe then sorry .

my snakes death wasn't/isn't funny... dont be sarcastic
confused.gif

I'd never feed my snake ribs or frog legs...
confused.gif

This place sells them for 100 bucks...the hatchlings..but I think it's overpriced....my friend said I could get one for around 30...they are feeding them "fuzzies" on that site...

the average price of ababy captive bred python is quite a lot at places like petco, etc. At herp shows, they are about $25.00
might i add that the link with the sales page of ball pythons is a site that works with different morphs of ball pythons, like clown, albino, etc. Those can fetch alot of $, even regular looking ones that are heterozygous (het) for those morphs. I hope this is not advertising, but the best place to look for a pet snake is: kingsnake.com. Click on the classifieds.

I looked in the classifieds and they either sell groups of normal pythons or morphs...lots of $$$. I think I'll go to the show in November to get one...
I'm suprised no one breeds "normal" ball pythons in Florida....or at least doesn't sell them online...*sigh*

are'nt there any local pet stores near you , i don't recomend buying online because you don't get to inspect the animal and whoo know if tis sick or not and shipping will make it uncomfortable and will be expensive .

not all online sources are bad, tuyen. true, you cant inspect the animals, but the sorces are usuyally retubale, especially if they are linked on kingsnake.com

Back