What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants

Want to know how to catch ant qweens are get and breed flying ones, i would like to start a colony.

Welsome tot he forums!
You can wait untill the breeding season starts, usually in the spring and summer, and when the large ants fly out on wings, collect like 20 of them, some with wings and some without wings, provide thwm with a large rock to start their farm in.
OR you could dig, dig, and dig into a anthill untill you find the qween.

thanks, but auchally iv been here about 5 mounthes, i dont have email and forgot the password to my other acount

Ell, ont tink your be going to get fly ants so easy.

In real words, I dont think your going to be able to get a coloney of flying ants from the wild.

dank yuo
biggrin.gif

hey, your best bet at getting an ant colony is to look for dealated queens (freshly mated) and capture one. you can find them digging new nests and stuff in spring through early summer depending on species. or you can try to find a fairly new colony and try to dig it up. fair warning tho, even with a few ants in the colony, they can go down SEVERAL feet!! ive had several ant colonies. they are really neat!! my favorite are these little arboreal ones called pseudomyrmex apach. good luck man!!

WOW!!! I lifted a rock in my backyard this morning, and i saw an entire and farm! lots of white larvae, the qween, some drones, it was very cool. I left the rock up, and put a sarracneia pot in it's place, now my sarra should be feasting for a while, and maybet he ants will move their colony into the pot!!!
wink.gif
wow.gif
alien.gif

Back