What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oppurunity for a falcon

Hello everyone, my beardie is doing fine, hes not dead yet, thank god.
Anyways, my friend is a Bird breeder and he lives down in florida, and he just came up to visit, and today he offered me a Falcon! There not illegal in kentuckey, and im aloud to have them in my neighbourhood, so I told him ill take it, hes gonna set me up with this huge cage aviary thing, and some padded leather gloves, and the Bird. (by the way I just moved to kentuckey, my thing might still say Illinois) So anyways, its a baby not more than a year old. Im getting the whole set up for like 300 dollars. He said hed give me a discount and the cage free. Im really excited and if anyone has any pointers post here, I dont know what type of Falcon it is but it has to be a common one. Just posting to say im excited!

congrats! falconry is very hard work. in fact, i think you need a lisence to keep them. Don't fed it much before releasing it for a hunt though! they only stay with you for food. Release a falcon with a full stomache, and you are unlikely to get him back. Feed him small peices of meat from the supermarket, steak is good I think. they like to eat alot, just dont feed them much before tking them out on a hunt. good luck! You really should have done more research on it though... Could you pm me the name and contact info of the breeder? I know alot about falconry, and have always wanted to get a falcon. thanks!
-Spec

cool , i always wanted a bird of prey when i was a kid , there was a bird show at my school a couple of months ago featuring a falcon , hawk , and owl .it was cool .

I dont need a lisence* or however you spell it, but I do know I cant let it fly loose like harry potter or whatever. I might just keep it among my plant bed, you know what im talking about spec, hope it doesnt eat the you know what. Anyways, IM me on AIM, instead of a pm, later.
Yea, his name is Jay, and he works at jays petshop.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Trapsrock @ July 17 2003,8:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont need a lisence* or however you spell it, but I do know I cant let it fly loose like harry potter or whatever. I might just keep it among my plant bed, you know what im talking about spec, hope it doesnt eat the you know what. Anyways, IM me on AIM, instead of a pm, later.
Yea, his name is Jay, and he works at jays petshop.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
if you let is loose if it is a bit hungry it will come back to you. you cant just keep them locked up in a small cage. They are wild birds, birds of prey, and they need excersise
smile.gif
you need to read up on it, i believe there are some societys of clubs for falconers near you, you might want to look into that.

oh, and everything you need to know about falconry:
http://www.americanfalconry.com/

oh, and you DO need a liscence"
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First you must have a Federal and State falconry license. This is provided by your State Game and Fish department. The only state that still doesn't have falconry regulations is Hawaii. Therefore it's illegal to hunt game with a raptor there. You must first have a falconry license before you possess a raptor, or it will be confiscated and you will be cited. State have their own regulations and guidelines that meet or exceed federal standards. So contact them directly for information.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">American Falconry recognizes that some of the readers might not be familiar with the realities of keeping a bird. Here we will explain some of those questions you may have. Let's start with the legal aspects of keeping a raptor in the United States for hunting.

First you must have a Federal and State falconry license. This is provided by your State Game and Fish department. The only state that still doesn't have falconry regulations is Hawaii. Therefore it's illegal to hunt game with a raptor there. You must first have a falconry license before you possess a raptor, or it will be confiscated and you will be cited. State have their own regulations and guidelines that meet or exceed federal standards. So contact them directly for information.

Next let's talk about obtaining a falconry license. It's not easy, but it's that way to protect the birds and the sport from abuse. First you take a written test on biology, training, and veterinary aspects of raptors, to pass you must score at least 80%. Next you have to find a sponsor to train you. Ckick here for more information on finding a spoonsor. He will have a general or master falconry permit, and sponsor your two year apprenticeship. Then you must build a suitable facility to house your raptor and obtain necessary equipment. This will be physically inspected by a Game and Fish representative. After paying the state fee you become a licensed falconer. Now you can trap a raptor, usually a Redtail hawk.

This is were the fun begins, you now have an animal to care for. Proper food, water, and supervision is required, cost is about $1.00 a day for feed. Frozen mice, quail, or pigeons are a normal source of food. Your equipment and housing facility will cost approximately $1000.00. Last but not least the reality check, you need time! September to March you hunt with your bird, a minimum of three times a week, three hours per day would be average. You'll need suitable hunting ground and a means of transporting your bird there. Expect to comply with all state hunting regulations. The season from April to September you take off as your bird moults a new set of feathers. Although this may sound like a hassle and a lot of work, it is, but it's definitely worth it, just ask any falconer. So have at it and good luck!!!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ohhhh great, sick bearded dragon, and ive gotta register for a falcon? Im not sure I can have one now... ive been way to busy to take bioloy and veterniary tests and stuff... I may not be getting a falcon after all...

So once you have your license, and go through all the tests and build the facility and all that, you are encouraged to go out and trap a WILD raptor to keep in capativity for your amusement??!

that SUCKS!
sad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

why isnt that illegal??

http://www.americanfalconry.com/beginners.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scottychaos @ July 18 2003,12:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So once you have your license, and go through all the tests and build the facility and all that, you are encouraged to go out and trap a WILD raptor to keep in capativity for your amusement??!

that SUCKS!  
sad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

why isnt that illegal??

http://www.americanfalconry.com/beginners.html[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Not many people do that, most buy from breeders
smile.gif

Im buying mine from a breeder, lol, you guys know that. But anyways, ive decided im taking the tests to get my liscense, See you in 2 days!

Falconry sounds so cool. If I didn't have kids and had more land, I would definitely buy one. I'm usually not for a lot of rules and regulation, but in this case, think it is a good idea. I think I would make it even more difficult to own one.

Good luck, Trapsrocks! I am happy for you.

I have a friend who's uncle is into Falconry he works for the Air-force his falcons take care of the pigeons and he gets like $500 an hour
(or $500 for some other time unit but not more than a day)

Congrats on the new falcon!  
smile.gif
 When he gives you a break, please tell us about him!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

Edit: </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hope it doesnt eat the you know what[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> What is the you-know-what?
confused.gif
wink.gif

you-know-what = dead buried rat with gang green

Trapsrock,
according to the site posted above, you have to first take and pass the test, then do a 2 YEAR appreniceship! then build the facility for the bird, then have it inspected...all BEFORE you can legally keep a falcon!

If you have the bird now, sounds like you are probably breaking the law..

Scot

"Next let's talk about obtaining a falconry license. It's not easy, but it's that way to protect the birds and the sport from abuse. First you take a written test on biology, training, and veterinary aspects of raptors, to pass you must score at least 80%. Next you have to find a sponsor to train you. Ckick here for more information on finding a spoonsor. He will have a general or master falconry permit, and sponsor your two year apprenticeship. Then you must build a suitable facility to house your raptor and obtain necessary equipment. This will be physically inspected by a Game and Fish representative. After paying the state fee you become a licensed falconer. Now you can trap a raptor, usually a Redtail hawk."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scottychaos @ July 22 2003,09:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Trapsrock,
according to the site posted above, you have to first take and pass the test, then do a 2 YEAR appreniceship! then build the facility for the bird, then have it inspected...all BEFORE you can legally keep a falcon!

If you have the bird now, sounds like you are probably breaking the law..

Scot

"Next let's talk about obtaining a falconry license. It's not easy, but it's that way to protect the birds and the sport from abuse. First you take a written test on biology, training, and veterinary aspects of raptors, to pass you must score at least 80%. Next you have to find a sponsor to train you. Ckick here for more information on finding a spoonsor. He will have a general or master falconry permit, and sponsor your two year apprenticeship. Then you must build a suitable facility to house your raptor and obtain necessary equipment. This will be physically inspected by a Game and Fish representative. After paying the state fee you become a licensed falconer. Now you can trap a raptor, usually a Redtail hawk."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
over instant message trapsrock said the seller is going to be his sponsor, and he already took the lisence test. The bird was going to be the sponsors bird, in a way, untill he passed his 2-year apprenticeship

isnt the seller in Florida?
and Trapsrock in Kentucky?
how well can an apprenticeship work that way?

and isnt Trapsrock still keeping the bird while the "owner" lives in Florida? according what that website says, it still sounds illegal to me..

(just looking out for the bird's welfare..not trying to bust on Trapsrock..im a huge Falcon fan! have worked directly under the "Kodak Falcons" in Rochester the last 4 years..)

http://birdcam.kodak.com/

FIVE Falcon chicks were raised this year!
smile.gif

Scot

hello?
anyone?

Is this falcon being kept illegally or not?

Scot

NO, I am not keeping the bird illegaly, the tests where like SO easy, they were like "Write a summary on what you would do if your raptor is sick" I wrote take him to the vet have him checked. I got a 78%, lol, I needed an 80% but good ol proffeser bracken passed me anyways. Jay does live in flordia, and this is my bird, he has me under a apprenticeship, I dont have to be trained for 2 years.

Back