What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leopard gecko leaving strange wet spots?

Recently my Leopard gecko started leaving wet spots around its cage. It has never done this before and i have no idea why it would start now. There is not solid matter in these spots, only a wet spot. Could this be nution? It only eats mealworms, could this be the cause. Could it be an infection of some type? She is still very active and has shown no other signs of being sick. Should i find a vet to take her to?

I am totally out of ideas as to what to do. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Ktulu

Not fully sure what the cause might be but as a long time herper I do suggest that you take the gecko off the mealworm diet and move to crickets. The exoskeleton of mealworms is very difficult to digest and often the continuous feeding of mealworms leads to gastric impaction.

I raised my own mealworms when I bred my leopard geckos. I tried to feed them mealworms which had just shed. They are the one's that look white.

Not to sound morbid, but might it simply be pee???
confused.gif

Also, a straight diet of mealworms is... not good. Try crickets instead. Feed her every day, ten baby crickets dusted with calcium dust every time, if she's a juvenile. If she's an adult, feed her six adult crickets every other day, crickets dusted with calcium powder only every two times.

Hope this helps!
FTG

I dont think its pee because she did it about 3 months ago a few times and stoped till recently. She has stoped leaving the spots again. It doesnt seem to be harmful to her so i guess i wont worry about it in the future.

About the mealworms, she wont eat crickets, she bites them and spits them out. Plus i have had problems with the crickets injuring her. I know a few breaders who feed solely mealworms and have had no problems. I am going to stay with the mealworms for those reasons.

Ktulu

Herptile "pee" often comes out as a whitish item with the stool. The wet spot are probably just residue from her anal area after defecating.

The diet of all mealworms tends to be controversial. Many people say it may cause impactions, etc, but impactions can be causedby many other factors also. My staple diet with Bearded Dragons are superworms,, but i spice the diet up with various W/C insects, crickets, etc + lots and lots of veggies.

As long as you see the gecko passing stool, he should be ok. I have found that many herps, after being feed alot of mealworms, tend to perfer it. It is addictive
alien.gif

Hmmmm... ktulu, that's funny, because my male leo won't touch mealworms, but he loves the crickets to no end...
rolleyes.gif

Well, keep us posted on how it goes, and remember to dust her worms with vitamin powder every time you feed her as a baby/juvenile, and dust them every other time you feed her when she's an adult.

Good luck!
FTG

Back