What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bearded dragon sick

The other day I fed my bearded Dragon a bunch, he engorged himself, and he threw up the next day! All over the table, he just spewed up decaying crickets and mealworms, well, its a day or so after the incident, and hes been kinda puffing out his beard in and out like a frog, and then opening his mouth and acting as if he cant breathe, any suggestions? I'm thinking about taking him to the vet.

Take him to the vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't wait it'll only get worse....

But... wont it cost a bunch! Im not sure the vet can even help him, what do I do? Anyone know of herp vet in lousiville kentuckey? Or in indiana? Or kentuckey?

trapsrock , taking care of an animal means that your really gonna have to care for it , if its sick send it to the vet , i wodner why it keeps getting sick , you should see what you have been doing to it that is make him do this . if you can't take care of him then you should care for him at all , all veterinarians are trained to handle any type of pet from dogs to tigers they it it all .

i know people keep saying "take your animal to the vet" and they are right. you may encounter probelms with money, but whats more important, a life or some cash?

To your bd's reguratating, it sounds mostly due to the enclosure temperature being too cold. the decaying food is a sign of this. with reptiles, it takes some time to digest food because of their low metabolism. when it is too cold, the food just sits there in the stomach and pratically rots away. in time, your animal will get sick and just throw it up. What are the temps? correct husbadry then bring to vet.

Pick a vet, call him/her, ask if they can treat your dragon, if they can't, ask them if they can recommend one that can. If you sit on your hands and hope it gets better and it dies instead, who's fault will it be? If you at least try to get it to a vet and it dies you'll feel a little better about yourself than if you just do nothing. Take it to a vet! Give it proper care or give it to someone who can. Money may be a problem, but see if you can't work out a method of payment with the vet.

What are you feeding him besides bugs? A good portion of their food is supposed to be vegetarian, and too much insect material(particularily mealworms) can bind them up. It can of sounds like you overloaded the digestive tract with chitonous exoskeleton. Have you tried some fruits slices and greens(mustard, collard, ect?)

Regards,

Joe

Back