What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? about dendrobates

Hey, what's up everyone

I'm just about to purchase my first poison dart frogs, I've decided on getting D. Auratus since they're good for the beginner. I would like to get some green & black and blue & black. I will have one set up for the blues and a different setup for the greens. I have a couple of questions though, How many individuals can be kept in a large (55 or more) terrarium without a problem? My second question is, can the different forms of the green & blacks (Costa Rican, Hawiian, and Reticulated) be kept together or is it best to house each type seperately? Thanx for the info

You should ask the dealer you aare buying them from. They would surely answer questions. Green and blacks are extremly pretty. Have you ever seen the "Bumble-Bee darts"? Very nice, makes me want a frog even though i am a reptile person.

Hey Cephalotus, I don't like yellow or orange so that particular species is not for me. I would love to get some strawberry poison dart frogs (a gorgeous species) but I know that they would most likely not survive in my care.

You could reasonably keep 4 in a 55 gallon, 6 max to keep them really happy. Do not mix morphs, it is looked down upon to interbreed different morphs. This is not my personal opinion but that of the PDF breeding and raising community. Reason being is that there is plenty of diversity in nature and the different morphs should be maintained as is.

Good luck.
joe

Hello, Joseph so are you saying that it is alright to keep the different morphs of Green and Black Auratus togther? I mean I won't be breeding the frogs on a large scale, whatever breeding I do try will only be to keep my own colony in existence. I certainly don't plan on selling or trading any offspring.

As far as the health of the frogs, they will be fine in the same tank.

happy croaking
joe

Back