What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant cetipedes in a cp tank?

Hi all,

Is it a good idea to keep a few giant centipedes in a tank with carnivorous plants (nepenthes, byblis linifolia, Mexican butterworts, cephalotus, ect.), can any of the plants harm the centipedes or the centipede hurt the plants? Does anyone keep centipedes or any other animal in with CPs with good results? Please share your experiences with animals in CP tanks.

centidepes, especially the giant types, tend to burrow beneath crevices or in damp, moist soil. It may be tough to keep the 'pedes from destroying the short roots of pings, etc.

THe only invertibrate that i kept with CP's were mantids (especially the orchid and African species). They do well as they don't burrow, are carnivous (so they won't fall for cp traps or harm plants).

Picture%20100-1.jpg

this is my 8 inch veitnamese scolopendra subspinipes, Damien.  he is sooo cute. what species do you have/want to get?  moving on, i can agree with ceph on that they tend to dig, mine sometimes just gets into this wild, fervor mode and bolts around the tank diggin, climbin, and getting mean with anything near it!!!!  man these things are vicious!!! i fed it along with my tarantulas today and it ate all 7 of the large crickets that i gave it before i could say...uhh supercalifragilisticexpealidocous....hehe. evil, i tell you, evil!!!! so i dont think that i would put any of my cps in there with my demonic beast. best of luck
XdouglasX

I'm made a mistake, I really meant millipedes. I get centipede and millipede mixed up sometimes. Bless you Death 66 for taking care of such a huge animal. I could not do it, please don't take this the wrong way but your centipede just creeps me out in the worst way, then again even the small centipede in my backyard creep me out. I think I'll stick to millipedes, i like then a whole lot more. To answer your question I don't really know the name of the species of millipede I want. The site where I saw the kinds I want described one species as giant pink millipedes and I think the other was an Afican red leg millipede.

Hey thanks for trying to help me out Cephalotus and Death (and thanks for the pic)

millipedes are cute little (some large lol) inverts. THey do great in a terrarium of moist mulch bedding and lots of hide areas. THe ones often sold in petshops (african giants, etc) survive well on a diet of a variety of different greens, cut into small pieces. THey might do OK with cp's, but they do dig, and might try to snack on roots and low bearing leaves.

wow.gif

Holy Mackeral! 8" ?? Zoinks! That is one BIG centipeed! How would you catch that monster if it ever got loose?

Bet it would hurt like *&^! if you got bitten.

oh yeah he is huge and will get even bigger!!! lol some people feed their's adult mice!!!! ewwwie
alien.gif
if it ever got loose i would just move out instead, hehe. i have a tall aquarium with a latching lid with books on top for security. if it bit me i would be in a world of hurt. there isnt any anti-venom anywhere near my vincinity. and i have heard that even narcotics have nil effect on the pain. this species is the only centipede with a documented death, a 7 year old girl, poor kiddo. though i am sure there were more medical reasons that lead to the fatality than the bite alone. i am quite confident that extream pain would be the more likely scenario, especially for an adult. wow is he neato, make my tarantulas look like teddy bears!!!
tounge.gif

I think the little millipedes are detritus eaters, so I am not sure if they would munch on roots or not. If you have pings, I would say don't put millipedes in there, because they have very fine roots and are also easy to pop out of the soil.
Where can I get a centipede like that? That thing is AWESOME! Is it venomous, or just has a nasty bite?

regards,

Joe

I think all centipedes are venomous just like all spiders are venomous, but only the really big one can do any really harm to people.

I found a peticular nasty looking 3inch blue centipede at my grandparents house once...

I remember once finding a 6 inch centipede on the middle of the road, though this one was bright orange(forgot what species occurs in Ca, but I havent seen any since). It was limp, but still moving. I picked it up by the back leg to oberve it, but didn't take it inside as I would most critters.

I've seen some blue ones with bright orange heads and legs(not that this helps ID them). They look like smaller versions of yours. Found em up in Northern CA under redwood trees.

How do you feed the little ones anyway?

Back