What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who am I?

Hi all!
My girlfriend got a new snake today. It's a real grouch, and will strike at anything that moves. It's also green, so it instantly got the name 'Oscar'.

Only problem is, we don't know what type it is. The person in the pet shop said it was probably some kind of Rat snake, but that's a lot of types of snake.

It would be great if you could tell me what type it is, so... thanks!

Oscar Picture

From the picture, it should be in the Elaphe family, the ratsnakes. My best bet right now is ethier a Diadem ratsnake (correct spelling?) You best bet is posting the pic on the kingsnake.com ratsnake forum. Good luck and its gorgeous.

Thanks, I've just done that.
She is a beautifull snake. She's not round though. Most snakes are as wide as they are tall, but this one is a lot taller than she is wide. We're thinking it's probably from underfeeding, something we want to fix.

Thanks for the advice.

Just in case anyone needs to know in future: She turned out to be a Chinese twin-spot (Elaphe bimaculata).
We're very happy with her, even if she does bite a lot.

Wow, a bimaculata! From how the Elaphe sales are, it is most likely a wild caught individual. If you can, it it seperate from your other herps and watch for parasites and our illnesses. Best to keep it in a palin setup right now, like a cage with newspaper bedding and plenty of hide areas. This will allow you to see if there are any ticks, mites, etc more clearly.

Woah, really? I was given the impresion it was bred in captivity in the UK. But thanks.

We've got her in a 50x30cm (aprox) tub thing that's meant for herps. She's got water and a nice half-log thing to hide under. And kitchen roll. I'll keep an eye out for parasites.

Can you explain more about why you think she's caught from the wild?

Hi,

Well, the more common Elaphe now seen in the pet trade that are CB are usually the cornsnakes (E.guttata), the ratsnakes (E.ssp) and a few of the Asian ones, mainly the Blue Beauties. The price would usually give an idea of its status of rearing, usually the higher, mostly CB, but there are exceptions. After looking through a respectable Elaphe brreder's site, it does seem your's would most likely be captive bred, sorry for any confusion. It is still best to keep it seperate for awhile, just in case...

Here is a very, very good site for Elape owners and potential buyers: http://www.cunninghamselaphe.com/

good luck=Zach

smile.gif
congrats on the new snake
smile.gif

Personally Id keep it separate from other herps (if you have any more) until you can take it to the vet and get a fecal exam to detect any internal parasites. Not just wild caught herps get them. I got a couple of ball pythons from the local pet store here and they were loaded with parasites and you cant really tell by looking at them. Sometimes by the time you notice them gettin sick from the parasites it can be too late.
sad.gif
Also before you take it to the vet you can try calling some specialized herp pet stores, if you have any in your area, and see if they are capable of treating your herps. I have one here that knows more about herps than any vet around and he charges less for the exams and treatments.

Back