What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worlds larges snake ever caught!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
50 ' snake

This is a reputable new site....They mention the claims have not been verified yet, but HOLY MOLY!  49.2 feet? 985 lbs?  

Hide the kids!

wow.gif

That's one big snake!!! I want to see pics before I belive it though.

Awwwww...there is no pic.
sad.gif

A snake THAT big I'd like to SEE. Interesting story Schloaty. I'm just glad its not in my basement.
smile.gif

I just looked over this story, and it seems kinda far fetch'd for me. It is true that retics get quite long, but it doesn't seem possible that one can reach around the 50's. How would an ecosystem support such a large predator? It is true there are some gi-normous (lol) pythons out there, but even seeing a 30footer nowadays is quite remarkable.

hhhhm , i thought they already captured a snake that big or bigger .

Goldtrap,
The idea that snakes are maneaters is nonsense. No known snake (well, before this one) can get its mouth around an adult human. We have shoulders that just stick out at the wrong angle.
Anacondas have been documented to eat SMALL CHILDREN, but not adults.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anacondas have been documented to eat SMALL CHILDREN, but not adults.

Someone once emailed me a picture of this... it was quite nasty.

I've have that photo and it is definitely a man inside the snake and its DEFINITELY gross and very very sad.
sad.gif

The story I heard was that 3 men were camping in some jungle (can't remember where)...when they got up one morning, one man was missing. They couldn't find him anywhere. Later they found the snake with a significant LUMP and they killed it and opened it and found the missing man. That may be an "urban myth" but the photo is real. Ugh.

My mom reads that sometimes.

It's fact, I read it in the paper this morning.

World's largest Snake according to this article the snake was originally longer. It was estimated to be 62 ft long before they had to amputate part of the tail

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The idea that snakes are maneaters is nonsense.  No known snake (well, before this one) can get its mouth around an adult human.  We have shoulders that just stick out at the wrong angle.  
  Anacondas have been documented to eat SMALL CHILDREN, but not adults. Schloaty
I saw this story on FOX news this morning.  It showed a one minute film clip of this thing slithering around.
Schloaty,  I defer to your knowledge of reptiles.  However, I would not suggest testing your theory about them not being able to eat an adult human...982 pounds...you had better have VERY broad shoulders.
biggrin.gif

There is an area in Brazil that the nick name for large pythons is "Bull killer".  Red deer are their natural prey and they are only slightly smaller than our whitetails.

Hand feeding this 50 footer could spoil your whole day.
wow.gif

Here's another article on the same snake.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750/
I don't know how to make an active link, unless this does it by itself, you'll have to cut&paste.
Not into snakes myself, I got this from a friend who knows I'm not terribly fond of them.  cute  :-[
That article by allosaurz says that the snakes will break antlers on deer in order to swallow them head first.  
sad.gif

ALLOSAURZ,
I'm disinclined to beleive the amputation part....62' down to 49'? That's 13' (21%) of the overall length of the snake...I'm not sure at a) it could live through that or b) the stump would be as thin as pictured that far "up" the snake.

About 6 months ago an Australian herpetologist came here (Indonesia) to write a book about Idonesian herps and he asked me to go romping around in the jungle with him looking for herps, which I was very happy to do. The only reason I don't keep any myself is my wife doesn't like them.

Anyway, back to the herp dude... we went to the Bali Reptile park where they had (it has since died) a 40+ foot python and this guy told me that there is basically no limit, as far as he can tell, as to how big a Reticulated Python will grow. He said there must, of course, be one but he doesn't think he or anyopne else has ever seen a max sized one. He said that food is the sole limiting factor with regard to the size of these pythons. He explained that if you got yourself a young one and continuously provided it with enough, good quality food (like pigs and deer when it got bigger - a dozen chickens for example won't do the trick) then it would just keep growing.

There's food for thought.

I saw a film clip of the snake today. They have it on display. It has a 3-foot girth. It was laying in a serpentine form so you couldn't fully appreciate its length, but it IS a BIIIIIG snake. It seems like a snake of that size and weight would have trouble getting around. How can it haul almost 1,000 lbs around and move fast enough to snare prey? But obviously it does or it wouldn't be that big!

UGH.

Maybe the pigs or whatever look at it and think to themselves "I've got no chance of getting away from that" and just give themselves up.

I saw this Python on TV yesterday morning, that's amazing! The news reporter said however "The zoo got it from a tribe who was worshipping it." I would imagine however, if the tribe was revering the snake as a holy creature then they would not willingly give it up....
Any truth to that Troy? I know how news gets twisted as it makes it's way around the world.

Sounds like a crock to me Josh!
There is a story about it here Python story, it's in Indonesian but basically it says:
* The snake was originally caught in the jungle in the Jambi province of Sumatra
* It's a male snake
* It weighs 447kg, length 14.85m
* It is now in a zoo in Curug, Java
The rest is just waffle about how it is hoped it will become a tourist attraction.

Sumatra is mostly either Muslim (Jambi and South Sumatra certainly are) or Christian and neither religion would be caught dead worshipping snakes! This sounds like media hype.

Cheers, Troy.

Back