What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flex watt heat tape

i would like to build some shelving for plastic containers and use flex watt heat tape to heat them. It's what a lot of the breaders do. Anyway, can anyone tell me how you use the stuff. Do you put it in direct contact with the plastic or is it supposed to be just a fraction away, or what. I have not found any good internet stuff on this yet, except where to buy it.

Thanks,

Joe

With heat tape, it is best to attach it to the actual shelf where the containers would be resting, for it makes the containers accesible, plus it allows for an air space, so it wont get too hot.

Ahh, so you would fix the strip to the vack of the shelf, and then have the containers within a half inch of so, so there is heating to the back of the container, but not the whole container. Is that kind of accurate?

Thanks,

Joe

That sounds fairly correct. If the heat tapes were on the bottom of container, it would work also.

Zach,

Yes it would, and that is how I thought it would go originally, but some of the ones I have seen pics of, the tape runs vertically down the back pannel of the shelf(in three long strips, if it's three columns of containers, ie). I guress you could do either or, depending on how many segments upi want to hook up.

thanks,

Joe

Back