What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you grow dart frogs?

Do you grow dart frogs? - Inquiring minds want to know....

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

schloaty

Staff member
Do you grow dart frogs?
Interested in seeing how prevelent they are....

Nope. Thought really seriously about doing it for a while, and even lined up a source for a trade. Then my parents gave "poisonous frogs" an executive veto (i.e. said "NO"!).

SF

I know of five people from this forum who keep Dart Frogs. Where's their votes?
rock.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Sorry guys, but I had to vote no. I don't grow them, I raise them
tounge.gif

I would like to and was thinking of it but that would put a HUGE hole in my pockets.

Yes I do, I have had some of them going on my 2nd year.I think the frogs are the cheap part of the whole thing if you set up a nice viv for them.I have raised gren and black auratus and imitators.I alos hva ebut they are still sorta young to breed: P.bicolors,P.vittatus,and brown and white auratus.Thye are very cool little frogs, couldn't live without them now
biggrin.gif

Mark W.

If they werent so costly, I would no doubt do a terrarium for a pair of D. azureus, auratus, or tincs.

I am not an expert on these(someone will have to back me up on this), but as for SnowyFalcon's reason for getting a veto, I don't think captive bred dart frongs have toxins. I believe i'ts found to be environmental from the rain forest.
Anyone?
I have thought of it, but the price has not come down like I thought it would over the years. Are they hard to breed(and grow
smile_n_32.gif
)?

Joe

No one truely knows where the toxins come from but it is believed that the frogs eat stuff like spiders and tropical ants, and manufacture the toxins from those animals to a mega toxin for their skin slime
smile.gif
Unless they ahve this kind of diet in captivity, they are pretty much harmless

Grow? You make them sound like plants, lol. Do I keep arrow frogs? No, I would if I had a way to, but I just don't have the time or equipment for them right now... I am raising grey treefrogs right now though
smile.gif
Fwoggies cuuuuute.

I don't have the money to keep them. It would be a very fun and interesting hobby. Maybe whenever I am older.

They're one of the options for the 55 gallon tank the mother-in-law found and gave us, but we haven't even figured out where to set up such a large thing in our little house.

I like the idea of filling it with Bromeliads and letting frogs rule over it.  I also think paludariums are cool, but poison dart frogs can't go in there because of all the water to drown in.  But it would be a good place turtles.  Then there's the option of making it home for a corn snake. But, again, it wouldn't be a good place for the froggy.  Finally, maybe it could be more of a desert, with leopard geckos. But I think it'll come down to the question of food supply and the snake wins that competition because it's easier to keep frozen mice than live crickets.

I heard that even captured Darts lose their toxisity after time.
I don't have any, yet. Might 'grow' acouple next fall tho.

Both Dendrobates and Phylobates are awsome frogs to raise in captivity, and the husbandry of these magnificent creatures goes hand in hand with Cp's. Beautiful planted tarrariums, fruit flies, and lots of humidity! I used to keep and breed various species. A buddy of mine is a large breeder of darts and let me tell you they are pretty breathtaking. I unfortunaltly tore down my dart tanks for personal reason but they wil be up again soon! Did I enjoy them when I had them Absolutely; would I ever keep them again You bet I will!!

They do require attention and TLC so unless you have time and a little spare money to devote to them dont jump head first into them!!

-Jc

i also keep darts. what species do people on here have?? i have bastimentos pumilio, intermedius, ventrimaculatus, leucomelas, and auratus. very very fun hobby! ive also found the frogs more expensive than setting them up. course i do it differently than most do.

Back