What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess this snake also

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date
I remember now!

Here's a better pic for you.
Eradiata.jpg

Copperhead Rat Snake
Elaphe radiata

smile.gif
In my search I even found the first pic you posted
smile.gif

Yaah, a winner!

just for your info i do believe this species was taken out of Elaphe and placed in its own genus in the last 12-18 months or so. personally im not exactly sure why asian rat snakes are lumped in with the North American and European Elaphe. they look quite a bit different to me physically. especially the heads.

Rattler

If they were, i'ts not common knowledge.. but I'll look it up

im pretty sure it was them. one of the asian rats was. i dont keep up on the stuff as much as i used to. i used to keep as close track on all this as i could.

Rattler

I don't keep up with this stuff either, but I noticed they took corns out of Elaphe. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact people were making cornsnake hybrids with kingsnakes, ect.

Joe

Ozzy,

Nice pic. Is this snake the same that is called a radiated rat snake?

Joe

I always thought corn snakes seemed closer to milksnakes then ratsnakes... the one above looks very rat snake like to me, although with people using DNA to classify things now I can still see it possibly being relocated and the appearence just being a coincidence ;)

Darcie,
Well I guess you would have been right, as they have made kingsnake hybrids, milksnake hybrids and others as well.
I never would have thought from appearance, as they look more rat snake to me, plus they don't eat other snakes.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Aug. 06 2004,4:51)]Darcie,
 Well I guess you would have been right, as they have made kingsnake hybrids, milksnake hybrids and others as well.
 I never would have thought from appearance, as they look more rat snake to me, plus they don't eat other snakes.

Joe
yes, but they look similar enough to be confused very easilly. I can not even begin to tell you how many eastern milk snakes I have seen where those who have it think it's a corn snake.

Back