What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basilisk

• Thread starter Linda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tap
Hi all, old time member but not around very often lately so not sure if many of you will remeber me.

I have recently acquired a pair of basilisk, how cool are they  
biggrin.gif
.  They are very active and sure like to eat and swim.  Couple of questions for anyone who has raised these guys before.  Is tap water or distilled water better to use in the pool?  I'm pretty sure they drink from it also.  I do mist the tank daily, but they like the pool.  

I'm trying to use plants in the pool for filtration, although having trouble finding plants that they don't destroy when jumping all around.  Anyone with any suggestions of sturdy water plants?

I have not been in the habit of changing the water in the pool, evaporation is pretty quick so it gets topped off at least once a week if not more frequent.  Although this is the first that the pool is being used, so I'm not certain what build up of waste will begin in the pool and what it will do to the drinking factor.  I'm hoping the plant filter will keep it in ok shape.  

Well any thoughts would be appreciated.

My Webpage

Here's a site that has several links that should help you - particularly the care sheet. I see you are from PA. So am I. I live near Reading. How about you?

I highly recommend using R.O. water or at least an additive that takes chlorine and chloramine out as well as many other junk in the water. Waste buidup will be pretty fast and needs at least weekly changes but more often is deffinitely better. Care is pretty easy though.

Joe

Thanks for the links. Bonnie and Clyde are not green, they are the common brown type but I expect care to be pretty much the same. I tried some grapes this AM to see if they will try some fruit, they sure love the crickets, having gone through about 6 dozen in less than a week.

I'm going to try growing lettuce in a sponge that will be wedged into the outside edge of the pool. If it works, it may be a another food source for them. Not sure if it will get too warm in the tank for lettuce or not.

I'll stick to the distilled water, the growing lettuce will help to filter the pond I hope. Guess I'll also try some pothos cuttings in the pool; the roots of the pothos are supposed to be great filters also. The only problem I see with pothos is it grows pretty quick and may get too big. The pool set up is not such that I can remove it to clean. Will look into one of those fish vaccums to clean out solid waste and hope the plants use the urea waste to keep the pool clean.

I live up in Erie PA. My husband lived in Reading for a while in his youth.

Thanks again

I like your weather better than mine - especially during the summer. Good luck / skill with your Basilisk!

Thanks Jim,

Sure couldn't prove weather by us right now, tons of rain and still way to cold. Looking forward to good motorcycle weather soon.

The basilisk's, Bonnie and Clyde, are doing great so far. The swimming pool was open at 7:00 Am and they both were taking a dip. I think they are setting up for the mating thing which will prove interesting if we get any babies. At least I'll have a reason to get another tank.

I still need to figure out a sturdy water plant, these guys are cremating anything I've put in so far.

Have a good day.

How about Water Hyacinth? That stuff grows like weeds. I use it to filter out my pond in my backyard. Surely any damage the lizards can do will grow back. Could also try water lettuce.

Good ideas Allosaurz. Water Lettuce is on my list to look for, I think the water Hyacinth may get too big (if it makes it LOL). I'm also thinking about some water chestnuts, I think I can get those at the supermarket.

I want something with a good root system but the plant itself can't get huge (bushy or tall) unless it can be pruned often. I'm also thinking about java fern, it sounds like they can grow emersed which will be necessary.

Thanks again,

Do you also have fish tanks?

No fish tank, although I'm considering a couple of minnows in the lizard pool, does that count? LOL

The water set up in the tank is a large plastic container (about 1/3 the floor space of a 55 gal tank) with a small plastic container inside. The pump sits between the two and pumps water up a waterfall, into the smaller container and over the edge to the bigger container. The idea is to heavily plant the edge and for the plant roots to act as a filter system. The inside pool is maybe 10 inches deep.

I've proven plants to grow well, and root well in the water. The problem is their hardyness as the lizards tear them apart jumping all over the place. I think pothos will end up being my best bet but I was hoping for other ideas.

Your set up rocks.. but I highly recommend more floor space..at least along the length of it.. I've seen a number of Water dragons and Basks that are inflicted with Nose rub because they keep bumping into the sides or try to get out. But get them acclimated first... Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughts,

So far no nose bumps or rubbing. My bigger issue that I'mgetting fixed, is the tank originally had mirrors on the bank (when it was a CP tank). I've covered much of the mirror with cork bark pieces but obviously not enough. The male basilisk keeps watching his reflection in a couple of places and there is a good bit of head bobbing, he hasn't attacked it yet. I'v covered one of the larger places and it has helped, need to cover a few more which isn't easy with them still in the tank. I used a velcro to attach the one I put up to avoid glue fumes issues. It seemed to work, but will have to see how long with the humidity.

They do a good bit of bouncing around even with it being a pretty heavily planted tank. I do keep an eye for running into the sides to stop nose damage early.

Thanks again

Running into the side is the result of the animals fleeing from a percieved threat and not having a hide spot where they will feel safe. Basilisks will often use hideboxes if provided and this will go a long way to preventing nose rubs. With aquariums the problem is that the animal often does not realize (can't see the glass) there is a barrier there and/or the reflections from inside the tank make it look like there are other areas that they can use as an escape area (makes the area look larger). If the animals do begin to run into the sides and hanging some bubblewrap will prevent damage while allowing the basilisks some time to figure out the hiding areas.

Most of the plants you are considering to use as a filtration require very high amounts of light (water hyacinth, lettuce, water lettuce) and will rapidly decay if this is not provided. Water hyacinth also tends to rapidly use up the nutrients in a small enclosure and crash addind to the pollution problems. Pothos is very tolerant of lower lighting situations and will work well as will Java Moss. Spathaphyllums are also a good choice as they tend to grow well under lower light levels. If you do not mind the basilisks tracking it everywhere duckweed is a good water purifier and the excess can be netted out of the pool.
The one thing you will really need to watch with a standing water pool like this is the likelyhood of the lizards contracting ameobiasis (Entamoeba). If the stools become loose, or bloody consider getting them immediate fecal exams and possible treatment. It is more likely in standing water as opposed to water that is filtered or changed daily.

Some thoughts,
Ed

Thanks for the thoughts Ed, they were helpfull.  I have ended up with pothos and they are working well so far.  Spath is another good one, but I find gets way to tall in the tank, had one on the land side that I had to remove cause it was taking over, it did flower but was crushed by the lid.  I thought about duck weed but was concerned it would take over also.  I really wouldn't call this standing water.  There is a water fall that circulates the water at a pretty good pace, evaporation is pretty quick also so it gets topped off about once a week with 1/2 gallon fresh water.

Thinking about getting some water test kits.  Anyone know what I should be looking for?  I suspect the fish kits are what I need and I would hope they have a chart that lists the acceptable ranges.

Thanks again,  these guys sure are fun to watch.  There is plenty of places for them to hide and head banging on the glass has not been an issue at all.  Bonnie seems to watch us and Clyde likes to watch TV.  They both like when there is music playing.  

I put a basking light up (25 watt bulb) the high end hit 95F and the low end stayed around 76F;  that seems to be in the area of all the things I read.  At first they stayed down under the heat, but by afternoon Bonnie spent the rest of the day under it.

For ease of use I would suggest the dry tab kits by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. These are real easy to use, read the results are are usually in the ball park.

Ed

Back