What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madagascar hissing cockroaches

I'm thinking about getting a few of these. Does anyone have them? Any care tips?

Aw. It changed my thread name! I meant c*ckroaches!
smile.gif

They are easy to take care of and breed readily. You need to provide some sort of "litter" for the substrate for the eggs and baby roaches or the young ones tend to get a bit trampled by the adults. I believe that they live for several years. If they are frequently handled they stop hissing. If you then leave them alone for several weeks they do it again. Regulations vary from state to state, in Florida you a permit to buy them - has something to do with them getting loose and taking over the state - plus I think we already have something like 62 species of roaches.

Hissing roaches are often sold at reptile sale shows as feeders for larger lizards such as chameleons and bds.

I had a couple as pets before, the second one had babies
smile_h_32.gif
so we fed all the babys to our lizards
smile_h_32.gif
, I sometimes fed them leftovers from dinner or lettice and fruits. a water dish, throw in a egg crate if u want to breed them. they're really easy to keep. they are easy to handle as well, i handled mine a lot.
smile_m_32.gif

I think I'm going to buy four of them. I hope they'll breed, but I don't want them for feeding purposes. Has anyone had experience with Oasis Water Gel Crystals? Apparently it's supposed to really cut down on the water spoilage.

Sorry to hijack your thread...but

What are the restrictions in CA?

Also, how easily can you spot the territories the males make/ Anyway to make them more visisble(rather thna hiding in eggcrates all the time)?

Thanks!

That's ok NFlytrap. This kind of goes along with your question. How large are the territorires that males make? Are they just an egg crate or paper towel roll?

territories? lol what? They don't really have "territories" form what i've heard...

they are allowed in california, just dont let em loose
smile_m_32.gif

Where and how much are you gettin four hissers for? Get them from a food supply place, much cheaper than from a pet place

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ June 11 2004,11:16)]Sorry to hijack your thread...but

What are the restrictions in CA?

Also, how easily can you spot the territories the males make/ Anyway to make them more visisble(rather thna hiding in eggcrates all the time)?

Thanks!
I know where you're coming from. I heard they were illegal as well. But I heard from a breeder that nope.. they aren't.
If you ever get a lot of babies. Keep in contact with us herpers. We'll give them good homes...honest >;-D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 12 2004,3:00)]Where and how much are you gettin four hissers for? Get them from a food supply place, much cheaper than from a pet place
I've been looking at a website called www.thehissingroach.com. I think 4 roaches is about 14 dollars. Do you know of any better places?

20 bucks a dozen at Roaches of the World
biggrin.gif

That's a pretty good deal based on some of the sites I've been on, but I don't know if I want 12 hissers. I found this place called snuggeybug.com (yes, I know it sounds gay) that has 6 roaches for 10 dollars. 2 males and 4 females. I think I'm gonna buy them there, but I need to wait until I get back from vacation. I don't want to leave them alone for two weeks right after I get them.

Back