What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well...

My leopard gecko eggs didn't make it, but I have my bearded digging a burrow to lay HER eggs as we speak
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
I can't wait,

Edit: Add Picture
Beardies.jpg

My post on Kingsnake
-
Having suspected my Bearded was gravid only 4 days ago I had felt lumps but believed she had some time to develop the eggs, maybe a week or so (She was still eating as well).. However today I saw the sand in her cage dug up so I set to work getting a laying chamber from a 10 gallon tank, Sand, Vermiculite, and lots of potting soil (Would have been pure peat moss, but I wasn't ready)
Laying her in there and remaking it numerous times (She felled the soil more than once) she finally got a burrow around 9 and just 20 minutes ago I took her out when I noticed the burrow was filled, (She'll be getting FOOD tomorrow)

After all the digging I have 13 eggs and 3 slugs, impressive for only having the male a month especially since he's stunted, he must be a stud. This should have been the females first clutch and it's only my second clutch of anything

I hope they hatch out well for you sliz:)

I've seen your stuff at Kingsnake, I real dig them Chameleons, I would like to get my claws on a few of them
blues.gif
Good luck with the eggs.

Chams are fun, I've had Veileds and Jacksons, great species.. gorgeous colors, good luck if you ever get them, if you have the money.. go with a Panther, maybe a Nose Be Blue.. I love those, their colors differ with the region they originate from.. expensive though, but beautiful

Slizarus,
Sorry to hear of you Leopard Gecko eggs. I bred these lizards for a few years. It was really neat to see them hatch and grow up. I'll place a plug for my webpage now about Leopard Geckos.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/geckos.html
Good luck with the Bearded Dragon eggs.
As for true Chameleons, I've never owned one yet. I plan to sometime. There is a reptile show near me once a month. I have not been to it for a good 5 years, but they had true Chameleons, Veiled babies for $20.00 and Panthers were not much more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Sep. 25 2004,7:44)]Slizarus,
Sorry to hear of you Leopard Gecko eggs. I bred these lizards for a few years. It was really neat to see them hatch and grow up. I'll place a plug for my webpage now about Leopard Geckos.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/geckos.html
Good luck with the Bearded Dragon eggs.
As for true Chameleons, I've never owned one yet. I plan to sometime. There is a reptile show near me once a month. I have not been to it for a good 5 years, but they had true Chameleons, Veiled babies for $20.00 and Panthers were not much more.
Well, they've suffered a literal burst in popularity it seems.. they cost at the least.. 100 for one of poor quality.. but yah, Veileds get cheap, mine passed away from Smoke inhalation.. they survived the fire, but eh..

I plan to get them again soon, but I need to get everything squared away first

Cool pics! My mom and my uncle Scott have BDs.. my mom used to have a leo named Slick, but he passed away several months later.. he was a weak hatchling and was too weak to eat his crickets, so he started eating the crushed-walnut-shell sand by the mouthfull, impacting himself until he died. I use the same sand for my leo, but I don't worry about it at all, because he's a strong one and a strong eater and he eats his crickets.. and he HATES the taste of the sand. Must be pretty bitter. Sometimes he misses a cricket and gets mouthful of sand, so he spends forever trying to get every last particle out of his mouth.. he panics if he has so much as one grain of it in his mouth. So I don't worry about impaction with him.. Man, I really wish I could start breeding leos... but I simply don't have enough room.. I barely have the room for his 20 gallon long tank. I could probably easily move the 2-gallon fishtank off that same surface and put an least a 40 gallon long tank on there.. but then there's the money part of it.. I have almost 200 bucks (saved allowance and profit from my art sales at the bar my mom works at), but that's strictly for riding lessons.. maybe when I move out. I should still have my leo then.. he's only 4 years old. He can easily live 10, 15 more years.

I should stop thinking out loud.

If a lizard eats sand it is usually because it is trying to get some nutrients it's missing in it's food, especially calcium. Calcium deficiency leads to weak bones and there jaw would be to soft to eat the crickets like you mentioned.
I would sprinkle ReptoCal and another vitamin suppliment from time to time on the lizards food when I fed my lizards.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Oct. 02 2004,2:59)]If a lizard eats sand it is usually because it is trying to get some nutrients it's missing in it's food, especially calcium. Calcium deficiency leads to weak bones and there jaw would be to soft to eat the crickets like you mentioned.
I would sprinkle ReptoCal and another vitamin suppliment from time to time on the lizards food when I fed my lizards.
I'll say a huge ditto to that.

A note, Walnut shell tears up the inner lining in most reptiles, most notable are the Uromastyx where a great number of owners have killed their uros because of it, in Beardeds and Leos, not nearly as many cases.. but I wouldn't take the chance period.

Note to self: Supposed hatch date November 20th..
I better be home that weekend
Smallest hatch time I can find is 45 days which will put it only a month away.. that would take high temps.. and with Bakersfield as hot as it is.. with the hovabator decreased all the way the temps are still 80-88

Are the eggs still good? One of female pictus is in an egg-laying spree it seems, 6 eggs in 4 weeks, and 2 more coming
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I think the Nephurus female has eggs on the way too, and the Cresteds too... theyre all fresh out of separation, so should be a good fall/winter
smile.gif

Good luck with the eggiweggs
smile.gif

/Quensel

Darn you, I like Pictus
smile.gif

Yes, my bearded eggs are all doing great..
biggrin.gif

Sliz, if you happen to be passing by sweden anytime, let me know, and Ill hook you up with a batch of free pictus babbies
biggrin.gif

Oh Blue-tongue female about to give birth any day now too, forgot to put that in the last post
smile.gif

/Quensel

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Oct. 02 2004,11:59)]If a lizard eats sand it is usually because it is trying to get some nutrients it's missing in it's food, especially calcium. Calcium deficiency leads to weak bones and there jaw would be to soft to eat the crickets like you mentioned.
Yeah, mine always has a dish of powder in there, and his crickets are usually dusted.

I don't think this is the culprit of my mom's leo's death.. he always had a dish of powder as well and his cricket, though he never ate them, were always dusted. He was simply born a weak hatchling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slizarus @ Oct. 03 2004,7:55)]A note, Walnut shell tears up the inner lining in most reptiles, most notable are the Uromastyx where a great number of owners have killed their uros because of it, in Beardeds and Leos, not nearly as many cases.. but I wouldn't take the chance period.
Still, I don't worry about it.. I don't know how else to explain it.. other than.. he is just not gonna eat that sand.

Back