What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Day geckos and cps

I recently got a gold dust day gecko and wanted to grow CPs in with it, he will grow up to 5 inches.  Will CPs pose a problem for him? They dont eat plants, so he wont be nibbling them.  I was thinking growing pings, drosera and maybe VFTs.

Any thoughts? thanks,
Shaye

There should be no problems at all.

Just hope he doesn't get stuck in the VFT!

smile.gif

The only problems is that the gecko might walk by vft traps and close them
smile_n_32.gif
or climb droseras and take off the dew, and isn't the gecko's waste good for the soil,which means it's bad for cps?

If the geckos tail gets stuck in the VFT, wont he drop it? Regrown tails never look as good as originals! Also, If the gecko walks through the dew, will it affect his ability to climb walls?
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Nov. 28 2004,1:06)]If the geckos tail gets stuck in the VFT, wont he drop it? Regrown tails never look as good as originals! Also, If the gecko walks through the dew, will it affect his ability to climb walls?
smile_l_32.gif
I have never seen a vft that is big or strong enough to hold on to a lizard tail. vft's are not designed to cature lizards. The only way I can even think of a way that a lizard would ever be in danger of a vft would be if the lizards are babies. Lizards are not attracted to vft's in anyway, so even a baby probably wouldn't even venture in a trap.
Lizards that like to climb, very raley would come into contact with plants on the ground, even if they were both in a grow tank.
If you give the lizard a place to climb it will spend almost all it's time perched as high as it can get. The damage i can think of that would happen is to the sundews. If the lizard crawls across it it may lose some dew.
I have kept lizards with cp's quite a bit. I have even kept them with big nepenthes. I have never had a problem.

If you check the Nepenthes forum of Rob Catley's Borneo Exotics pics, there is one of a hapless gecko that met it's demise in a pitcher(whatever is native to Sri Lanka). So I guess it can happen.

Cheers,

Joe

I never said a lizard couldn't get caught in a nepenthes trap. I said I couldn't think of a way that an adult lizard can be harmed by a vft. I also said that I have kept lizards with my nepenthes, and never had a problem. I'm sure that a lizard can be traped in a nepenthe, but 99% of the times a lizard will be able to escape. Unless it's weak or sick.

Oh, sure, Ozzy! Defend the lizard!!!

I agree with Ozzy, but all I am saying is if you put a treefrog or gecko in with Nepenthes and it gets caught..well it was a small risk, but it can happen.

Okay, thanks very much for the replies. I'm going to go ahead and put in some CPs (no nepenthes
smile_n_32.gif
)

Just to catch up, Rob mentioned he did save that gecko, but it happens all the time and most of the time they are dead when found. I guess a glass tank is much easier to climb than the inside of a pitcher....

Cheers,

Joe

Back