What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Java blue gliding frog (racophorus reinwardtii)

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
As the title says: I am looking around for breeders or sellers of odd tree frogs with particular interest in Java blue gliding frog (Racophorus reinwardtii) and Giant waxy monkey Phyllomedusa sauvagei)

Anyone have any info for me or ideas?

Thanks
Joe

Maybe, let me talk to some friends

have you ever glanced through www.kingsnake.com? its got probably most of the major(and quite a few minor) herp breeders and importers(i know your looking for CB though), plus has quite a set of forums. i used to frequent it quite a bit. generally full of lots of knowlegable ppl on the forums but for some reason that hobby seems to have alot of "know-it-all PITA kids" especially who keep snakes, but for the most part the forums are full of a bunch of knowlegable, helpful ppl.

I am real tolerant of "know-it-alls"
smile_m_32.gif
I am all for proper respect and laws surrounding animals but the PITA crap is rediculous sometimes.

Thanks Pyro,
Joe

PITA means pain in the .... PETA is different lol

for the record PETA is a PITA, far worse than "PITA know-it-all kids"

biggrin.gif

Thats what I was thinkin.

Rattler man,
I ran across a great deal on WCs for $17 from a reputable source. Unfortunately I am having extreme difficulties finding CBs
smile_h_32.gif
The few I have found want outrageous prices
smile_k_ani_32.gif
, Yeah , I know.

Joe

What are WCs & CBs? My guess is water columns and catch basins, but I don't think this is a limnology and stormwater control forum.

'Wild Caught' and 'Captive Breed', its how you distinguish whether your reptiles are born in a cage or the wild. Usually WC's tend to have health problems and acclimate much slower if at all not too mention they are taken from the wild, though usually legally nowadays. Obviously to be introduced to hobby trade WCs have to be used but many beleive it should be done by a pro and a bredding program established so that as little as possible have to be taken.

Joe

i delt with snakes for a number of years and one thing you learned pretty quick was its worth paying 2-3 times the cash for a captive bred animal. you have about 1% of the health problems to deal with. its far easier to get CB's to eat. plus the mortality rate once you get them is FAR FAR lower than with WC. this doesnt apply to frogs but a good example on temperment is with blood pythons. captive bred ones generally have very good attitudes and are easily handlable, wild caught ones REALLY make you wonder if they got their name from their color, or how many pints of blood your going to loose trying holding them. burmese pythons were the same way. wild caught ones were hell on wheels, but since they have been widly captive bred for many generations, the CB ones generally have really good personalities. doesnt apply to all snakes but its a really good bet with most pythons and boas

Rattler is spot on. I was interested in getting mandarin rat snakes at one time. WC ones, you could get adults for $100, but they have a good channce of dying. I think CB babies run around $400 each.
With leaf frogs like red-eyes(at least), WC animals seem to do surprisingly well. The only ones I have seen are from Glades for $45 ea. I don't think they mention WC or CB.
I, for one, would be tempted on the WC ones at $17 ea if you can get different sexes.

Cheers,

Joe

My problem is I am reading extensive posts on the het about mortalities being in the 90+% but then I just got an email back from an experienced frogger who said go with the R. reinwardtii because the other I listed as wanting is widly known for being a WC frog only and CBs(2 sources) sell for $400-$500 each with Wcs being like $50. He is a collector of the Phyllomedusa's and said almost all die from nose rub and "unknown"

I think I will stick with reinwardtii.

Joe

Back