What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookin for black or red widow spiders

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 01 2005,11:21)]The city makes a huge difference too. Griffin says they have tree frogs down in Lincoln and I know they do in CB,IA but not in Omaha. They have rattlers out in the sandhills but not here.

Joe
On the outskirts of Omaha, you will find grey treefrogs Hyla versicolor ...I can't believe I just did that in italics. Pinguiculaman must be rubbing off on me. Anyway, I have seen them just outside of Omaha city limits(I think it was tchnically outside the city limits).
Another possibility to finding widows, is to ask your local grocery store's produce dept. They often show up in shipments of grapes or something(come in wooden crates) from California. Wether they will save you one or not, don't know.
Rattler, Nebraska does not seem to have the herp population as some states do, at least immediately around here. Now 40 miles South, I have seen some pics of pygmy rattlesnakes, copperheads and a friend saw a timber rattler, which I had no idea were found this far west.

Cheers,

Joe

They aren't supposed to. Could be another prairie rattlesnake form. Would be nice to have a picture to drool over. I love catching rattlesnakes, and have since I was 14. Got the beatin' of my life from my stepdad, but I kept bringing them home until he gave up.

I find 'em in CO all the time when I'm out there.

Joe

Timber rattlesnakes are not supposed to be west of the Mississippi, if I remember correctly. Anything west of the river would be a prairie rattler. I know even here, just about any rattlesnake is called a timber rattlesnake, or a diamonback, but seeing them with all four of my eyes, proves them to be something else. I will have to look it up again to be sure, but I do not think they are timber rattlesnakes. It HAS been a long time since I looked up that info, but timber rattlesnakes get a bad rap all over the place.

timbers are back east. IIRC the the current thinking is that timbers are just a locale color variation on another rattler species. i would have to dig out my books to see what rattlers are in Nebraska but i would bet your only "large" species is the prairie C. viridis viridis not sure what the ranges of pygmies and copperheads are though. we dont have them this far north unfortunatly.

Why on earth would you want one? They are nasty little creatures. Almost got bitten once. Frappen thing got on my hand. Well the neighbors came running when they heard the frightened scream (not a memory I like).

some ppl are just strange Tre, and as far as my fiance' is concerned so am i am waaaaaaaaaaaay strange but i keep her entertained
smile_n_32.gif

WHOA!!!!!!!!!! JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(interesting)

I had to, he walked right into it!

Joe

LOL! that too...............................................
smile_m_32.gif

hey superimposedhope, has anyone gotten you your widows yet? i can get you giant female latrodectus hesperus or latrodectus mactans. i also have rare aphonopelma tarantulas im trying to find good homes for. if anyone is interrested, let me know. take care

I really like spiders too! Once we caught a black widow. She didn't seem to eat anything we gave her. We found a male, but apperantly her boycot of the food we offered her left her starving. So when he finished tapping out his love message or whatever and started crawlin toward her, she just walked up to him and killed him. A bit depressing really. Oh have you ever seen or had any kind of funnelweb? They are really cool! They are everywhere in my house, so I caught one and named him frankie. My sister caught one and named it Patty. They are really cool because whenever I dropped a moth onto his web he was suddenly out of his hole and there biting it. When he subdued it he would walk back to his hole after a quick glance around to make sure someone didn't steal his meal. I think I overfed him because he became really fat. He was cool though!

Back