What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a new baby

my Sumatran red blood python showed up today. it hatched out a couple of months ago and can eat adult mice.....when i got my recently hatched spotted pythons i had a heck of a time finding pinky mice small enough for them to swallow. its a nice change. 4 year old spotteds and 3 month old blood, both eating the same sized food items, aint pythons interesting? anyways its my way of having a big snake without having a BIG snake. at 6 feet long it will be as big around as a 15 ft burm. they max out at 10 feet but a 7 ft blood is considered a big blood. pics will be posted as soon as i can.

much better temperment then my last one. the last was a Sumatran black blood, supposedly the calmest of the 3 subspecies, calm my arse, dang thing spent 2 years trying to make me bleed. this lil guy hasnt attempted to strike yet.

The African Rock Python I used to have was 8 feet. Very strong, and had a real affinity for human hands. Thought they were tasty. I didn't care for his taste too much, as it was usually my hand. Nasty teeth!!

Yeah well for all out aggression nothing beats a Tokay gecko! If it requires leather gauntlets to handle it then I don't want it thank you very much!!

Tokays are EVIL! i refuse to buy one. not much into lizards anyway.

dont like using gloves for handling harder to read the animal. in the two years i had the blood he never got ahold of me. i was a bit faster than he was, but boy did he try. this guy should be MUCH better tempered.

EVIL does not begin to describe them. Though the sign at a pet shop I think came close:

Tokay gecko --

You catch 'em.....$10

We catch 'em......$20

The only Tokay I delt with I was just babysitting the Tokay for my college roommate over Xmas break. Never interested in them in the first place and seriously put off by them after the fact. My entire hand was bloodied for longer than I care to remember. The best one was when it got ahold of me while I was showing it to a room of pre-schoolers. Exquisite self control is not belting out the "F" word when your finger is being mistaken as lunch!! And I never like using gloves either (never used them at all in fact) but if I ever have to deal with a Tokay again I might break down and whimp out.

Blood pythons are SOOOO cool man you have to post a pic of one once you get some!!! I hear that they can be a bit nippy but ok to handle depending on the snake. Youre lucky you got it while its a baby and it has itty bitty teeth instead of adult ones ;) Id lake a nippy baby to a bitey adult anyday.

pics will probably be posted mid week, the digi cm took a dump so im using 35mm and scanning the negs. much more time consuming process.

there are 3 subspecies of blood python:
Python curtus curtus the Sumatran black blood
Python curtus breitensteini Borneo short tailed python
Python curtus brongersmai Sumartan Blood python, Maylay blood, red blood

with all of them, recently imported specimens, you really wonder if their name comes from the blood red color of the one sub-species or if its because you generally loose blood with each handling sesion. some actually settle down quite ncely but generally you always ave a grumpy snake. captive bred ones though generally have great dispositions. in general they are never "cornsnake tame" but are quite easilly handled and the chances of getting bit are slim. awesome snakes but need more attention to their needs than a burm or other more adaptible snake. very cool snakes and are my favorite large python species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ April 08 2005,1:30)]The African Rock Python I used to have was 8 feet. Very strong, and had a real affinity for human hands. Thought they were tasty. I didn't care for his taste too much, as it was usually my hand. Nasty teeth!!
I had a 7 ft boa once.   He never bit me as he was quite tame, but he was quite strong, and quite an escape artist.  He would break the wing-nut screws that held the back of his enclosure (he was in a hollowed-out 1960's big console TV set with a glass front and hinged screw-on back) and escape.  Once after a 4-hour hunt, I found him coiled UNDER the stove top, in a figure-8 around the burners.  Another time he escaped and ate 3 of my cat's week-old kittens in a closet.
Never a dull moment!  LOL

kittens?
confused.gif

not my choice of food source.
smile_n_32.gif

here are some pics of the blood python. i may have some of my new boa on friday

427blood.jpg

427python.jpg

What a beauty. Keep posting pics so we can see her grow.

Back