What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake pics

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    death
http://images.google.com/images?q=rough+green+snake&hl=en'
those are rough green snakes.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=smooth+green+snake
those are smooth green snakes.
With that blurry picture you can't say. Smooth green snakes aren't found in NC. I think ozzy's just playing a trick on us and they're not in the wild but whatever.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alpha, trust me i know what im talking about i have kept snakes for years. there is no way that thing is a rough green snake. native or not its definatly a "smooth green snake"
I live in NC and I've seen rough green snakes, and it's more probable it's a rough green snake than a smooth green snake (if it's in the wild)

gotta agree with you, Alpha.   If Ozzy was tramping through the NC woods, he would have found the rough green snake.  If those snakes are exhibit/caged (and after looking more closely at the pics, the snakes all appear to be on the same "manmade" substrate, in artificial environments and perhaps the camera flash used to take the pics ??), then they could indeed be smooth green.
And I still think the very last pic looks more like a boa than anything!  LOL
(but I'm just a dumb old girl who just likes snakes, not an expert)
At any rate, wild or not, they are good pics; the copperheads are absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing, Ozzy

The "rattle-less' rattle snake looks kind of like a bushmaster to me.
The top racer looks kind of like a mussarama(sp?) , a snake eater from S. America.
There is another that looks cobra-like in there.
I used to live in NC and am fuzzy on my Conant's from back then, but I "thought" both green snakes could be found there, though one was much rarer than the other. I saw a couple when I was a kid-I am thinking both were rough.

Cheers,

Joe

well since several of you have figured Ozzy out ill see what i can do to help things out. the copperhead, eastern and canebreak are all correct

starting with the green snake:
green mamba, guessing an eastern but not 100% sure
black mamba
taipan?
cobra, egyptian probably
next two are some kind of elapid, guessing a cobra but maybe a krait
bushmaster

the "rough green snake" on page 2 is a Jamesons mamba

did i get them correct Ozzy?

Oh! What a fun game!  (even if I did flunk!)
I think the prize goes to rattler...
Snake 3 does look like a taipan, with it's lighter colored "snout".  I thought kraits (snakes 5 & 6) are banded though.
As for my "boa" bushmaster...guess I shouldn't book that trip to Guyana to hug "boas"!    
laugh.gif

no not all kraits are banded, i was sorta right, its one of the spitting cobra species. hopefully ill be able to post pic of my boa next week, youll see there is quite a difference. always been a snake nut. venomous species really interest me though i really dont feel like keeping anything deadly. so i work with boas and pythons that get up to about 8 feet instead.

granted if you really wanted to stump me its not terribly hard. there are hundreds of species ive never seen and loads that i know that im not terribly familiar with. plus you tack on the fact that some species show quite a bit of regional differences, cape cobras for example.

Just for the record, that green snake is smooth.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I took all these pics in NC within 50 miles of the Green Swamp.
I got a few pics of lizards if you guys would like to see them.

Here is an Eastern Fence lizard.

beadedlizard.JPG
beadedlizard2.JPG

Here is a Broadheaded skink
watermonitor.JPG

Here is a Carolina Anole

nilecroc.JPG

nilecroc3.JPG

And last but not least here is an eastern glass lizard.

kingcobra3.JPG

I'm sorry about the pic sizes, I used villagephotos, autosizer program. Needless to say it didn't work very well.

EDIT: Fixed

well Oz i have to say that is the most stunning example of an eastern glass lizard i have seen in quite awhile. oh and next time your down that way. catch an eastern fence lizard for me and send it this way. i wouldnt mind one but they are quite spendy up here

Laffing my butt off! I'd like to place my order for a Broadheaded Skink, please...love those little fellas. And those Carolina anoles...I swear I could see my reflection in that eye! I've also heard if I play a catchy little tune on my flute, the Eastern Glass Lizard will sway with the music.
smile.gif

If that glass lizard don't like your music, you'll be in some serious trouble. The glass lizard in the pic was over 10 ft long.

beaded lizard? or gila monster? I'm going with beaded lizard for no reason.
komodo dragon
croc
and king cobra?

10 feet, eh? Yep, that's a big glass lizard! I'm going with the Mexican beaded lizard, too...looks too dark to be a Gila (but with my record, I'm probably wrong! lol)
Komodos are my all-time favorites...real life dragons.

Rattler mt, you got them all right. The one that you guessed cobra or krait is actually a spitting cobra.

I took all the pics at the Cape Fear Serpentarium. It's run by a man named Dean Rippa. If you don't know who he is he's probably the biggest expert alive on bushmasters. He's been bite four times by them.
Anyway I have some very good pics from there that I plan on posting soon. If you are even barely interested in snakes and you're ever in Eastern NC you have to stop by. It's in downtown Wilmington. Where else can you look straight into the eye of a man eating Nile crocodile, or a king cobra? Some of the snakes even come up to the glass to get a better look at you, like the eastern diamondback and the canebrake.

I knew you'd figure this out pretty quick. Some of the pics I wanted to use, I couldn't because you can tell the enclosures are manmade. I also had to crop some of the pics to remove flash spots made by the glass. I had these pics and I just had to have some fun with them. Sorry.

It's a beaded lizard, the croc is a Nile Crocodile, and the king cobra is also correct. But there is no komodo dragons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 29 2005,7:19)]But there is no komodo dragons.
Darn!  Thought it was a youngish komodo.

Well, in that case, I'll say water monitor, which is the only one I can think of that can be confused with komodo.

You are correct LunaC.
smile.gif

yep the body proportions are all wrong to be a komodo though some of those asian water monitors are no slouch in the size department. their bodys are shorter than a komodo but their tails are longer. i was having problems on the beaded, its neck was to long for a Gila, and its proportions not right but its pattern doesnt quite look right for the beadeds ive seen. i guess im just used to looking at young, high end, nicely patterned beadeds. the one in the pic looks to be either an older animal or it is getting ready to shed. awesome pics Ozzy

The water monitor was huge, I don't think the pic shows how big it really is.

Back