What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to cool down a terrarium?

i am planning a terrarium and will have a few flying geckos in it. i dont want it to get too how for them. how could i cool it down?

Me again... If there is a way to open it up a bit or place a small fan in there, you could do this. A topic about this arose awhile back and someone mentioned the use of a computer fan. Some people also use a shade cloth.

the temp of the air where i live can get up to 95, and my gecko cant get above 88. will just a fan be good enough?

I've reached the end of my expertise in this area, but I am sure that there will be others that will contribute.

Story time: When I moved to Buffalo. NY, at the ripe old age of 23, I lived in a two room efficiency apartment. There was this furnace register thingy in the corner of the apartment and when turned up all the way - I still froze. So I put a fan on top of it, in the hopes that it wouls circulate and warm me up a bit. Incredibly, it did. Not only that, I was actually able to turn it down. The point is that circulating the air causes a more even distribution and should be able to knock the temperature back to tolerable levels, especially if it isn't totally sealed off. I realize that there are several variables interacting and it cannot be predicted as to its final effects, but I think it would be worth a try.

What is the avgerage summer temp in the room where your terrarium will be? What type of lighting will you use? Will the terrarium be vented (screen top?)If you can tell us more about your setup, we can better answer your questions.

Chris

the terrarium is large, yard by a yard by 2.5 feet tall, and it will have a partial screen top, part plexiglass. the avaragetemp is 90 degrees, but it can get up to 100. there will be a terra fogger and a pond with fish in it in the terrarium. the room has a fan, but i doubt that will be enough.

Back