What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantella and new 10 gallon pics

sorry the pics arent the greatest but i got all the way out to my house with the shops digital camera and realized my 35mm was in town yet so i didnt have my good lens andhad to make do with the shos crappy one for the macro shots

M. betsileo
betsileo.jpg

M. laevigata
mantella3.jpg

and the skinny M. laevigata
mantella.jpg

here is the 10 gal i redid last night. i REALLY like how it came out with one exception, the white rock in the right hand corner. but since the tank is for my wifes azureus and she loves the rock and demanded it go in the tank i had no choice. anyways i think its a huge improvement in looks over my last ten gallon and the azureus will be put in after it gets a week or two of growing out.

whole tank
wholetank.jpg

the pond
waterfeature.jpg

the land part
land.jpg

my last attempt at a 10 gallon for comparison
tank.jpg

have you ever thought of mixing your carnivorous plants with your pets? a drosera adelea would look great in there, or maybe some butterworts, biblys or other plants.
smile.gif

who am i kiddin, the plants might eat those adorible little frogs! ( choose the plants wisely, i think that gorgious jewl orchid is ready to bite.)
smile_m_32.gif

i love the frogs

lol actually there are terrestrial bladderworts in both tanks and a Genlisea in the new one. when i do a large tank i plan on trying U. alpina or U. asplundii(true epiphytics) in it. i know of ppl using neps in theirs but its not a risk im willing to take, a 25 dollar plant eating a $50-$125 dollar frog sounds like a risk thats a bit idiotic to me but its a personal opinion.

Aw how cute! And I LOVE your tank setups - both! What all plants do you use? And how did you do the bg on the first one?

Oh and just a quetsion. Do you use light, heaters, both, or what, for your tank/frogs?

what plants? good question i got most as a variety pack from Harry at Cloud Jungle Epiphytes. but included are various Peperomia, Selaginella, a jewel orchid, java fern, java moss, Utrics, Genlisea, assorted epiphytic ferns, 2 or 3 species of mosses and other stuff that i either have no clue what its called or forgot i put it in there.

as for the background on the first tank i did its tree fern panels. they work well but i will be looking for somethingelse. the wife doesnt care for how they look and i want to try different stuff(none of which i had on hand when i did the second tank)

forgot the other questions...........

lights are 4 ft flourecents, the same i use for growing CPs. suspended about 8-12 inches above the tanks for easy access to the tanks.

heaters i dont use any. the frogs are sitting on the shelf above my nepenthes so they get some bottom heat from the ballasts of the lights below them.

That's a nice looking terrarium. What is java moss? My friend has dart frogs and asked me if I knew of any moss that will grow in his tank. The only moss I grow are temperate mosses and sphagnum moss, and both probably aren't suitable for his purposes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i know of ppl using neps in theirs but its not a risk im willing to take, a 25 dollar plant eating a $50-$125 dollar frog

You need to get a couple of $250 plants to even out the score a little.

Brian

Java moss is a moss from the aquarium hobby. needs lots of humidity to grow on land. you can by tropical moss by the square foot from Black Jungle and Cloud Jungle Epiphytes. some temprate species will work. not sure what species, basically its a trial and error process with temprates.

Back