What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New setup

• Thread starter Colieo
  • Start date

Colieo

Staff member
Hey all,
I haven't been around much, but I figured I'd drop a note about my saltwater setup I'm starting once school's out. I have a 12 NanoCube. Plan on having 1 royal gramma, CUC, some feather dusters, and various hardy corals. I'll be cycling with LR and LS. I'll make chamber 2 a fuge with chaeto and probably use filter floss and activated carbon. I'm pretty excited for it, and I just thought I'd get in on the forum. I'll post some pics later on as I set it up. Anyone else use the NanoCube? Hopefully in the future I'll have some frags to give out. You'll be hearing from me soon!

Cole

... what does CUC mean? Will you have LPS or just softies? Edit: (Clean up Crew. Duh, Clint!)

I'm looking at the deluxe nanocube right now. Only 48 total watts? Is that enough for anything beyond shrooms? 12 gallons is so small.... I don't know if I'd have the diligence to do bi weekly partial water changes. Have you considered making your own setup? That way you could have whatever lighting you want as well as a nice Remora protein skimmer. Sure, more expensive, but you'd have more options and cleaner water. You wouldn't even need mechanical filtration then, besides, mechanical filters are just nitrate-traps if you don't replace them constantly. I was considering doing just that, but I don't know how I'd be able to move it whenever I have to leave college during the summer and spring break. I guess if I drove slowly and took out most of the water, it wouldn't be hard to move.

I'm excited for you! Have you ever had a reef before? They are so much fun, and EASY as long as you don't half-butt it and skimp out on the equipment, and dedicate your time to it.

May I ask why you settled on the NanoCube? I think there are several all-in-one tanks like that out there.

It's small, but I am also a college student, so time and $ are major concerns. I will have an apartment, so I'm not too worried about transportation and such.
I'm usually pretty diligent when it comes to water/ filter changes, so I think I'll be on top of that. I'll probably invest in a good skimmer down the road, but for now I really like the natural type of setups, so I'd like to someday have a fuge with some macro algae and possibly even mangroves and have a mini- ecosystem for clean-up.
I did have a reef once, but I was maybe 10... took great care of it, but couldn't keep up with it on a 10-year old's allowance :down: so as you say, skimping on $ caught up with me.
I settled on NanoCube cause I had heard good thing about them for the most part and an online provider had it at clearance prices (about $60 less than the exact same thing from other sites).

Cole

Ohh boy. I forgot how much these things cost :p I was pricing stuff for a 20 gallon of my own.

Skimmer: $140 - 175
30 lbs Gulfview LR with shipping: $230
Lighting: $250-300

Not counting the coral (which is VERY expensive for the good colors), and misc. things like heater, powerheads, filter, salt, test kits, supplements, etc. Dammit I forgot how expensive it was lmao. I need a job :p Of course that's with top-grade LR, skimmer (top grade for a 20 gallon ) and Lighting.

I was looking at $150 Anemones today! Damn. If any of you think $150 for a plant is expensive, try $150 for a ball of gelatinous slime (that requires far more light than that $150 plant!)

Sounds good! You should add a percula or ocelaris clown too. (If you feel like putting up with the extra bio-load)
I plan on putting my 29 gallon saltwater together over the summer also. All I have for equipment so far is a powerhead and heater.
Good Luck! Post pictures when it's set up.
-Matt

If any of you think $150 for a plant is expensive, try $150 for a ball of gelatinous slime

No matter the price, you really have to be careful with gelatinous slime...

ooze.jpg

(I know I posted that once before; but seriously, how often does someone post gelatinous slime?! I couldn't resist).

xvart.

That much for LR(whoops duh you said ultra high grade) ? JLAP why does the lighting have to cost that much can't you buy a compact Mh then change it out with a 10,000 K bulb mh bulb? That would be much less and you'd have a 5 year warrenty...
Sounds great though Makes me want to raise $500 /get a job :D
Not trying to question you just curious your the guy with a reef not me :)

I don't know what a compact MH is.... but this these are what I was talking about. You would save a bundle if you retrofitted your own, but I'm too lazy to do that.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...K_HQI_MH_w__12_Lunar_Lights_24in~vendor~.html
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~SL2111.html

I won't use MH. Too hot. And I don't have a reef. I HAD a reef five years ago :p Yes, the LR is expensive but that's the best that gulfview offers (and I LOVE gulfview). Shipping alone is 80-90 dollars, but 30 pounds overnight isn't cheap.

You only need that kind of lighting with corals and inverts. If you're going with a fowlr (fish only with live rock) then all you need is a few watts depending on the size of the tank.

I'm getting a 65 watt 50/50 light setup for the 29 gallon saltwater.
This one.....
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~24%20inch%20aqualight%20with%2065%20watt%2050%2050%20lamp%20straight%20pin%20base~action~view~idProduct~ES53004~idCategory~FILTFIPCTF~category~Coralife_24_Inch_Aqualight_With_65_Watt_50_50_Lamp_Straight_Pin_Base_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Lighting_Fixtures_Power_Compact_24in_Units~vendor~.html
-Matt

What's the point in FOWLR unless you want to have something that eats coral? Fish are boring, I think. No offense or anything :p

And so messy.

I have found that the smaller the tank, the harder it is to take care of. I went from a 55 gallon reef/fish to a 180 gallon reef /fish and believe it or not, aside from more husbandry, the water quality is easier to manage. Not to mention, it's a 180 GALLON REEF!:-O

I run 5 t12 vho, (3 blue two, daytime/white), and my all my softies seem love it. Most of my sps died, but a few of the more hardy ones are surviving. It's just not enough light for them. I'm planning on adding metal halide lights eventually, but for now my set up is working.

I'll probably invest in a good skimmer down the road

I would highly recommend a good protein skimmer for any sized reef system. And with skimmers, you get what you pay for. Spring the extra few bucks and get a good one.

Oh yeah, never underestimate the importance of a good clean up crew and good live rock! The back bone of your reef.

JLAP I am just the type of guy who likes to invest a smaller sum of money get good results then pour more in :) I like fish but I'd very lightly stock the fowler I could very easily upgrade my lighting. Damsels and Clowns are what I'd keep since there hardy and atleast for the damsels not expensive. I have done lots of reading(Nano-Reef forums) so I have most of the terms and basics down :) This is what I meant by compact Mh lights : http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/items.asp?Cc=MC&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Not sure on the K value must be high with a Hortilux Blue.
Could save some money buy buying a non reef lighting solution without cutting corners as long as the wattage,lumens and K value add up right.
My dad says for his 55 gallon setup he had a ehieme filter ,a primitive(according to him)
protein skimmer,heater,power head and thats about it(for equitment in the tank) he said coral were just coming into hobbyist hands :lol:
On protein skimmers (I am not going to buy anything now later this year maybe when I graduate) I saw a few models in Dr foster and smith;the Coral Life that's around $110 seems nice http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924
Then more money :
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4412&pcatid=4412
The Bak-PaK seems better like a mini sump for a heater and whatever. And add more water volume to a nano.
Thats sorta a suggestion and a question at the same time JLAP :jester: :crazy:

You're absolutely right. The larger it is, while more expensive overall, the easier it is to take care of.

You're also right about the protein skimmer. Don't be cheap about it and if you can't afford a good one, don't buy anything at all until you've saved up your cash. NEVER skimp on the lighting or the protein skimmer. AND do your research. My first skimmer was a $150 SeaClone. It's what the pet store recommended and it was expensive, so it had to be good, right? Wrong. It turns out that most people won't take a SeaClone if you tried to give it to them. It's a glorified aerator (at best.) I got a TurboFloater 1000 and the difference was like night and day.

As for the compact MH, that looks like what I light my terrarium with, and it's not compact at ALL! I'm REALLY re-considering MH. I think I'm going to splurge at pay $400 for the Current Outer Orbit, or get the Finnex 150 Mh (but only if I get the M-tank). I'm leaning towards the Outer Orbit between the two. I don't even like SPS. I ever have. I don't get what the fascination is with them. I just want it so I can have clams.

The Coralife skimmer looks like you'd get what you pay for. The bak pak is OK. I had the Turbofloater 1000 on my tank, which was great. If you don't have a sumo, you'll have to get the multi. I'm a big fan of the Remora Pro when it comes to hang-ons.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ang_On-Venturi_With_Needle_Wheel~vendor~.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...Skimmers-Hang_On-Spray_Injection~vendor~.html

I'm telling you. Yeah, it's expensive, but it's worth it. If you half-butt it (some phrases REALLY lose their umph when they're modified .....) you'll have to work more at best, and fail at worth. Go ahead and spend the money. If you can't afford it, I urge you to save it up. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

Consider buying it used. You can probably get a used one in perfect working condition for the same price as the cheap ones you listed.

I'm a big fan of the Remora Pro when it comes to hang-ons

Not only am I the Remora Pro fan club president, but I'm also a client.

I've heard great things about the Tunze protein skimmers. There a little pricey, but as you guys said, its well worth it. I'll be geting one.

Do any of you use actual "filters"? I've heard they can create more of a problem than a benefit.
I'm going to be using a skimmer only, no filter.
-Matt

I have a 30 gallon, 3 chamber refugium (however you spell it). The water is piped out of my main tank through a filter box and 3 feet of basic plumbing, into the first chamber of the 30 gallon, then to the 2nd chamber with the skimmer, then through another filter made from filter floss from the craft store, then blasted back to the tank through more pipes. You have to change the filter floss often, but it's super cheap stuff.

If you were to ask 5 reefers what their system is and you will more than likely get five different answers. Do research, ask people, trial and error. Reefs sometimes take years to set up and establish.

Hello,
If your going for the nanocube, you should kep it mostly stock to start with. Then work your way up as your addiction increases. You can easily keep some LPS ans softies under the stock lighting. I would however add a pump for higher gph, as well as toss out all of the filter media and look into converting one of the rear chambers into a refugium. You can easily retrofit MH into the tank later on if you start craving SPS or higher light demanding corals. Unless you plan on having SPS or many fish (which you shouldnt anyways in such a small tank) you wont need a skimmer right off the back since your bioload wont be that high. Just keep up with weelky 10-20% water changes and you should be good. Just my $.02
Good luck

I'v got things figured out I am getting this for lighting I'll be very happy with lower light corals http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+16770&pcatid=16770 I have a LR supply so ya I'm getting setup soon when I find the actual 30 gallon tank I'm opting out on the skimmer untill I actually add more than a few/3 fish or so since I'll earn more cash and just keep some corals. For most of the time i'll do a nice /pretty CUC On research I've done craploads my forum of choice is nano-reef but I don't want a nano more like a 30 since the smaller the more explosive it can be. I have a menter/sage well sorta I can call the principle of a local school she has a 500 gallon reef with 1500 watts of MH,a nano and was breeding clowns for a long time.

Back