What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to do a setup and have money :)

Well I want to d o a fowler but need some Door A or B questions :jester:
So I was told on the reef central forums that the hot magnum is just told don't get it.
So would a whisper 40($20 cheap filtration) for a 30 gallon with some biological media
and maybe some floss be fine ? I do not want to do a protein skimmer since I will lighty stock it then convert to reef. I mean like a few fish(2 clowns,one goby and maybe something else a benny maybe with a CUC) not much since I want some zoas,shrooms and other inverts later. When I upgrade(before I get any zoas,corals or anything like that) then I'll get a skimmer unless I need it(up in the air do I need it since I will have a low stocking of fish) . Now the other thing Live Rock :banana2:
So they seem good the prices are good but I'd like some experiences they seem legit
http://wholesaleaquaticsupplies.com/shop/index.php?cPath=853&osCsid=a36e63729bc0c4af9f7e8415cf689e5f

Personally I would want to provide the best possible living conditions for the fish; just because they can "tolerate" certain levels of nitrates doesn't mean they should be subjected to them. Better water conditions = happy fish and less risk of disease. If you're going to get the skimmer anyway just get it now .

If you're looking for a HOB skimmer, check out the AquaC Remora - very nice, and used ones are always for sale on RC for decent prices. As for the live rock, I would buy the cheapest you can find from someone with a good rep, then cure it yourself, you can make use your new skimmer in the curing process :)

Your right about the skimmer just money is like a thing thats being pushed,
I am already going to do weekly changes I could do a fuge by adding a pane of glass thats professionally cut then siliconed in then macro algae with $1 a pound LR rubble.
The initial costs are the clenchers :( I could get 2 holes drilled then a power head to move the water around then I'm theorizing that the cheato will remove the nitrates then trim them back like my planted tank with 5 or so nitrates(theory not trying to be stupid or stuck up) I realize the concern since I'm reading the nitrates are to be next to nothing for no stress on fish. I may be able to get something skimmer wise that's used I just fear getting something online I'd rather meet someone in person then I'd feel better.
I have heard alot of praise on the Remora and some good about the Back-Pack(not as good) My local LFS is under new ownership the new owner seems fresh,nice,knowledgeable and so on he may have something used that is good not a pickin sea clone or whatever. I could put an add in our south coast shopper for free so it's worth a shot.

If you can't afford something, save up and wait a few weeks or months until you can. Protein skimmers are not the place to be cheap. You'll just lose money in the long run when you upgrade, so you may as well get what's good right now. FOWLR need good skimming, more so than coral since coral doesn't really contribute to a bioload.

Canister filters suck. Nitrate traps. The Magnum is fine for water polishing but should not be used as a filter. There's also no real fear in getting something online as long as the person is a prominent member of that forum. No more risk than anything else. At the end of the day, it's a piece of plastic. Not too much to go wrong.

Alright so there crap unless there used for freshwater .....
Even the Principle of the school with her 12 gallon nano only had (from what I saw)
Had 2 clowns,anemones like 2 small ones and a few shrooms had some biomedia and floss thats it so ya I want to stock my 30 with more than 2 clowns :D Besides with such a small tank water changes are easy unlike a larger 30 so thats my theorizing of why I need a skimmer. I don't really care about water polishing really I'll just use some pillow filler(100 polyester non fire retardant so no chems) thats fine :)
Well I am going to sell my helicopter for parts for like $50 or so so I have like more cash but I'm going to spend $50 on 4 neps(I feel deprived of neps need a nep fix :lol: ) but well I'll keep saving then jsut order what I need without skimping. Live stock is like lots of money a nice CUC and some detriovores would be a costly loss plus the fish.

Corals may not contribute to the bioload much, but they definitely are more sensitive to water chemistry than most fish are. General rule of thumb is that reef tanks need to be skimmed more than FO - or you need to keep up on water changes. I wouldn't suggest to keep anemones if you're not going to have a skimmer or the lighting to keep them. It's not the norm for them to survive in less than optimal conditions.

Adding a refugium is a good idea, try to avoid the invasive (illegal) cualerpa species.

If you do decide to get a skimmer, you can usually find the Remora's used for under 100 bucks on RC. That's the skimmer I'd recommend if you don't have a sump.

... now who is going to school me up on keeping CP's? I live in Northern CA and would like to keep pitcher plants (and probably others) outdoors. Do-able? I don't even know where to start!

She has only 2 clowns she is just lucky :)
She said they did go downhill they went all white but she started feeding them more and did some more attention but anemones are harder than corals from what I read she has no skimmer but she has a very low stocking of the 10 gallon and as I said before she is lucky. I may not do a skimmer keep a pretty darn low stocking rate with diligent water changes then when I want corals buy Mh and a remora since everyone likes them from what I've been hearing...
On CPs sarracenia should be fine there is a nursery by San Fransisco that has them outside I believe. I have worse weather than you and I had mine out for some fo the tail end of winter.Someone living by you can fill you inn on there experiences on a new thread :)

From what people have told me (and what I plan on doing) you really don't need any type of mechanical filtration. All you need is the protein skimmer.

All of the large particles that a mechanical filter normally takes out will eventually get broken down and cleaned up by the protein skimmer.

I plan on purchasing a Tunze nano DOC 9002 skimmer, I've heard great things about them.
-Matt

That sounds very logical :)
I waqs thinking on the flip side I could do a 10 gallon with some shrooms and zoas with a cuc.
For me when I put a low amount of money into something get success then buy it much bigger like freshwater I have a thriving 10 gallon thats planted with vigorous plants I feel confident that I could do a 100 gallon or 55 without fuss. I am just thinking of a way to put minimal amounts of money get some success even just keeping some shrooms and zoas with a CUC in a 10 gallon(have to have the CUC) Spend like $150 or so (like that will happen) then buy a 30 gallon then all the more expensive things like lighting,LR,skimmer and the other misc expenses. I dunno I may not have the courage to put in the money :lol:

Remind me not to hire you to install any hardwood floors.

Well I think I will never do a trde job ever.
I'm not trying to be a retarded cheapo I'm just overly carefully person.
My job of choice would be a CAD drafter or something with modeling those are my top jobs ..

jm -

Nothing wrong with planning it out and being frugal about what you're going to spend money on. Smaller tanks are more difficult than larger ones, if you think you're going to upgrade to a 30g you might as well just start with it. In the long run you'll save money (and time spent fiddling) and it'll be easier to take care of.

2 clowns in a 10g tank is not lightly stocked by the way, that's about the most you'd want to put in a tank that size, so it's really heavily stocked :) Part of the reason why larger tanks are easier, you have more margin for error.

If you like drafting and 3D modeling you should consider engineering, it pays better and it's more rewarding! Here's a link to my ongoing project, it's my fushion of reef keeping and engineering :)

http://dinardiengineering.com/blog/?cat=3&paged=2
(a couple of pages there so far... or you can browse by month)

I have done electronics I went kinda far but (the trying/idea)coding just makes me cry,
I did some soldering,circuit board based things,some tesla coil HV stuff but in the end I enjoyed CPs more.
I am more into art like I am not into "drafting" for say but it involves modeling that I'm getting good at I'm using Maya it is pretty darn fun on and off. I have projects I don't bother showing anyone anything until I get better since 6 months of learning(on and off) and I still have not gotten a project since I'm still learning this learning curve software. I know Rigging for characters,Poly & Nurb modeling(not subdivs though there weird),learning slowly about Shaders in a network but in general I know shaders,dynamics I have a grasp on and there is just tons to learn I mean tons every tool has settings and every setting has a meaning. If there was a studio near by I'd be there but I'm out in the goonies. On the marine tank I'm just pondering my dad is going to buy a generator soon I'm thinking and thinking maybe I could convert my 55 into a marine since LR may be more and lighting but otherwise a remora skimemr costs the same along with many other equipment. Ya I'd blow $500 or so since I can get LR for $3.50 a pound or so thats why it is less but it would be stable and I'd have fun if I get a job $500 won't sound as much.,

Back