What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Starting a DIY 10g Reef Tank

So I have definitely caught the reefing bug, along with the CP bug, and I have been reading reefing forums ALOT. I am almost done with a DIY 10g that is pretty much identical to this tank here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1265768 except in 10g form.
So I have finished all the work on the actual tank, and I am currently in the process of filling it with salt water. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to go get some live rock from my LFS. However, I have a question for you reefers our there...if I get "cured" rock from my LFS, will I need to do a cycle in my tank before I add livestock, or will I not notice any spike in ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? Thanks for any replies, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get some pics up!!

Zach

Only 10 gallons? That's awfully small. Anyways, Normally, fishtanks will go through the Nitrogen Cycle and the good bacteria will form on the filter media. I think the same holds true for bio-wheels and the like. so I would expect it to spike in Ammonia and then Nitrite. I just hope it doesn't kill that which is living while it's cycling.

I would go to nano-reef to get some grounds on small reefs since with something that small.
I wouldn't spend the money on cured LR,it's NOT worth it. I got my LR from my LFS then put it into a 5 gallon bucket full of warm SW and I still got a big cycle.
For LR be sure to aks them if they have ever dosed the LR tank with copper or just see if there are thriving corals in the LR holding tank.
For your cycle,you need to wait awhile even though everything tests good say after week 2-3, I'd wait longer to make things somewhat stable.
And for a test kit everyone almost on my "home" forum says API works well get the marine and reef one($30 total)
If I was you I'd plumb in a 20 gallon sump with a fuge for cheato to add some safety netting, so you don't get the problems associated with such a small tank .

if I get "cured" rock from my LFS, will I need to do a cycle in my tank before I add livestock, or will I not notice any spike in ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

Yes, you will still need to cycle your tank. The only difference between cured and un-cured live rock is that the uncured still contains dead particles etc from when it was removed from the ocean. The cured rock is already cleaned so it can be put into your aquarium right away, however this has nothing to do with the nitrogen cycle. Your tank will have to cycle regardless of the type of live rock you put in your tank.

If you don't feel like waiting for your tank to cycle, many people have recomended bio-spira to me. It's supposed to cycle your tank pretty quickly.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/biosp02.htm

Good luck and have fun.

Back