What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is ro water really needed for reefs?

I get mixed answers on this topic. Is ro water a must for reefs or can tap or britta filter water work?

If your water is free of nitrates, phosphates, chlorine, copper, etc. then sure. Of course you'll always wonder if a problem you have is from your, or if it would have happened anyway.

We use regular tap water for our 110 gallon reef and it works just fine

This is how I think of it,
you have $1500 into a 55 gallon reef setup.
If you want to spend 8% more you get the assurance of RO-Di
you can assure yourself that possible problem is not possible.
Now for me I use vending machine RO it tests fine as long as they change the filters out,but for now 25 cents a gallon is fine(for now until I get more cash) for my meager $500 reef setup.
If I was you I would spend the $120 then you have your CP and reef water :)

I wouldn't trust it seems like a lovely miracle product,most likely a bus load of random chemical binders that will cause eventual or instant problems.

I wouldn't trust it seems like a lovely miracle product,most likely a bus load of random chemical binders that will cause eventual or instant problems.

No, its for real, I use it on my freshwater tank and it does infact remove bad chemicals, metals, and other bad stuff from my tap water.
I'm just wondering if it is ok to use on a saltwater tank.

It doesn't "remove" them. It binds them to make them less harmful or harmless.

I know that stresscoat will make your protein skimmer go crazy, and that looks like it's probably similar to stresscoat.

Reefs are expensive. When you're dealing with that much money, for animals that expensive, an extra 100 bucks for a bare-bones RO filter is nothing. I see it as buying a REALLY nice TV or computer, and then being too cheap to get the extended warranty for an extra 50 bucks. You're going to regret it whenever you need it, but didn't buy it. If you get an algae bloom, or your coral starts to go downhill, or you can't get something to really take off, you're always going to question if it's the water, or if it would have happened anyway. Always wonder if it's the copper pipes :p

Your totally correct :D .
For me $100 is a good amount of money,remember I'm 15 still :)
But I agree I will spend 30%-40% more for a good DI and a brand name RO membrane.
I go for economical but without skimping,my first corals are just mushrooms thats it :jester:
I've got to admit I would have done fish only if I really realized the cost/worry/complexity of a reef,then I can worry less about nitrates,copper and so on :D
But it hit me if I spend 50% more I can do a reef, thats why I am in my current situation...

Back on topic,I think your better off not using that product,
reefs are just pathetically sensitive and I wouldn't risk $100+ in starter corals.

Alright, thanks for the input. I'm probably going to take the plunge and buy an RO system anyway.

Gallons per day,for me I wouldn't care if it was a picking quart per day :jester:
Well if it was free and gave good water. Realistically the unit would obviously be complete crap.
Anyways,I think thts fine coralife is generally a good company,according to the minimal number of complaints I've seen online.

I understand now... Thanks to hours and hours worth of forum reading over at reefcentral. (Of course I didn't spend hours and hours searching about RO/DI systems!)

I think I'll soon be starting a 40 gallon mixed reef.

I would say, no not essential, but helpful.

On an older tank I get away with a britta just fine. However, you do get more silicates, and may have a longer 'ugly' stage in the tank acclimatizing.

With RO water, you are adding less impurities, and with that feeding less things you don't want to bloom (like diatoms).

So yes it is possible, but it can be more work.

I'd say try it, and then for kicks you can get the RO water from one of those vending machines, and see if it makes your tank happier.

I tested a brita and it doesn't take out much of the tds. for the price it is worthless.
a $100 filter sounds like a lot of money, but you can get 1000's of gal out of one before changing the prefilters and it makes very good H2O for coffeee/tea, drinking, cooking, aquarium, cp's, etc.

When I was at my LFS talking about the RO water for my CPs, the guy there said it was absolutely pure, because if not, his reefs would crash... O.O
Just thought I'd chime in. I don't keep reefs...yet ;)

I would use RO water for a reef if I were to set one up. I'd like to do an inverts reef with some eel grass and dwarf seahorses.

I was actually just on the verge or starting my reef hobby when I had gotten laid off my job so I decided to do CPs instead since it WAS a cheaper hobby to get into, until I started collecting HL Neps and orchids... LOL

Back