What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pet jellyfish=awesome

omg want

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

edit: eek soo expensive

Somehow sea jellies give me the impression that they are watching me, but they don't have eyes or complex nervous system...but they are still quite amazing.

hahaha yeah. I wonder what Seven Pounds did for the pet Jellyfish trade.

A local place had a tank like that (dunno if it was this companies specifically but was pretty much exact) a while back... I stopped in 3 times just to check it out and each time they were cruising around with no problem. They even ended up with these tiny smaller than dime babies. :blink: The filter is like a under gravel filter, the air rising in the bottom creates a suction in the bottom and the filtration is done in the gravel and in their extra thing that this set up has... so no problem being sucked up, and that would create a nice slow circulation in the tank. The tank is round so it has that going for it like the one you linked. The temperature thing I dunno- I would guess it depends on where you get the jellies from as to what temp they would want. Maybe these are a warmer liking one.

moon jellies (the ones for sale) need cool water
other kinds are super expensive

Ah, I didn't look any further than the info on their site.. some times a bad Idea but I wasn't headed to the checkout anyway. :D

Moon Jellies are found all over the world in a range of temperatures. The Moon Jellies we provide prefer water in a range of 75 - 79 degrees Fahrenheit.

went back and read everything
seems like water temperature would be the only problem (i didnt see the filtration and bubbles thing the first time over)

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

im sure that can be taken care of thru some creative measure

there are a number of jellyfish that would likely do very well if you find a tank design that works......a mass produced tank design that works will likely quickly lead to better tropical species being imported.....whole lot of jellies arent that demanding in care other than issues with them getting sucked into intakes....other than that given the easy access to a wide variety of food products that we have today with the right tank there are prolly alot of tropical species that could enter the trade real easy.....

i really like the design of their custom made desktop jelly tanks. they look like they would be an ideal desktop environment for jellies. apparently they will be available soon...

http://www.jellyfishart.com/Articles.asp?ID=266

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

they look like they would be better than the current desktop tank they are selling, which i think is just this...

http://www.petco.com/product/15325/Midwest-Tropical-AquaRound-Aquarium.aspx

Very cool - Jellies would be a neat critter to observe especially if they had babies in captivity.
I do wonder... $250 is a hell of a lot for a small cylindrical tank kit like that. I mean, Walmart has a kit with the same cylindrical tank, lights, UG filter, airpump and color swapping LED light for about $25... LOL

I saw an ultra-miniscule creature in my saltwater tank reminded me of a jellyfish

it was a head of one dot 'suspended' 1-3 mm above a ring of about 10 more dots
oriented single dot upward, and it was rapidly propelling itself upwards by shooting the head forward, catching up to it, and repeating.
veryyyy interesting

im sure it wasnt a jelly but resembled one nonetheless
w8tgyt.jpg

you may be able to spot it near the blue bulb of the light

very small!

Huh, I think that might be a hydra. :D Careful though, I hear those guys are carnivorous.

I saw a fish eat-and-reject it. haha!

but it didn't have tentacled mouth and it wasn't anchored anywhere. there are a couple of things im assuming are hydras in there...
this umbrella creature is very unique

Back