What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got Jellyfish How do I setup a saltwater aquarium?

This reminds me of the time I walked into our local saltwater aquarium store and one of the young guys working there, who obviously had absolutely no I idea what he was doing, was dumping pure salt directly into the invertebrate tank to raise salinity! Needless to say I never purchased anything from them again. I still wonder how a respectable petstore could hire somebody so careless, especially since hundreds of dollars of animals were in his hands.

Jeeze, lots of horror stories involving the pet trade. Makes me want to try to get a job at my local aquarium store, if they hire someone as stupid as the guy you mentioned, they should hire me no problem.

If you tell customers the truth and discourage them the shop might not like it...

"So that'll be 6 Bettas in cups and one gallon bowl I'll ring that right up for you sir!"

And I did see someone buying that at Walmart.

I also saw someone taped a home made sign on the tanks at Walmart that said "stop selling fish!" :)

I worked at a small local reptile "zoo" over the summer. They had been selling reptiles for a while but decided to quit because they did not like the idea of adding more animals to the market (they are mostly a rescue facility), they still sold animals as "adoptions" for a while but only after people had proof of purchase of all the materials needed to properly care for the animals. I still hated that they sold stuff though. I do know a few good reptile people, but only a few. Most of them are total sleazebags (Cough*ansonwong*Cough). Which is mostly why I quit hanging around with them and switched to this hobby (which is over-saturated with wonderful people :hail:).

I don't think I will be working at the fish store this summer, maybe I can scoop poop for a vet clinic :-O, that is right around my skill level.

wii at peta now dat dis speciism is bad, so wii need to protect de gerbilz.

However snakes and lizaeds are evil untermenschen and need to be exterminated!

wii at peta now dat dis speciism is bad, so wii need to protect de gerbilz.

However snakes and lizaeds are evil untermenschen and need to be exterminated!

---says the man who was never attacked by rats carrying fleas carrying the bubonic plague. :awesome:

I do know a few good reptile people, but only a few. Most of them are total sleazebags (Cough*ansonwong*Cough). Which is mostly why I quit hanging around with them and switched to this hobby (which is over-saturated with wonderful people :hail:).

Funny, I have distanced myself from the herp hobby and all but a few people on that side and found myself migrating back to plants. It really is better here, plant people are far more genuine and generous than herpers. I miss some of the animals that I had to let go, but not the people.

There are some nice people in the herp hobby, but a lot more nasties than in this one. I never even go near the online reptile message boards, they don't make up for the type of friendly environment we have here.

I know this isnt tank related but related to the subject of not researching an animal before getting it

Anyways a friend of mine got 2 sugar gliders with out reading up on the intense care they need and proper diet, months later his female died due to not being fed the right food and not getting looked at by a vet right after getting the animals. Turns out i would be taking care of the sweet male glider for the weekend, that weekend turned to months where i was forced to look up proper care knowing that the food he had was bad for them so i ended up rushing out to the store getting fresh fruits/veggies and ordering a good food where you just add water to it. I offered to pay him to keep the animal and no more then a week after saying that the glider dies, cause unknown but probably from being sick to begin with. I did not own the glider yet so i couldnt take it to the vet sad as it was and he still insisted i give him 200 for dead animal. the deal was that it was for a live animal not dead and his stupid ex was the one pressuring him because he had a kid with her

I hate people that dont research and end up complaining when something goes wrong, i lost all respect for him and it pretty much ended what friendship we did have :(

I've kept a reef tank for like four years, it's not hard if you actually research, and spend money when needed,
JustLikeaPill/Clint got me into it somehow, it actually took me away from this hobby for awhile :)
I see a lot of stupidity when it comes to people when they keep their fish or other exotic animals.
I guess at times they see something that's alive and happy, then blindly assume that it's easy because they are at a store, and merely need to purchase the animal.

Here is a tank I tried to fix up at the hospital.
Even after getting a stiff waiver signed, and such I eventually stopped my work since it never payed well. A year or two later though, the snails still bread, and the hermit crabs are still alive. Although one protein skimmer's(there are/were two tanks) effluent is being redirected back into the tank :/ I should tell the doctor, but he is past lackadaisical.

(old pics)
IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

After I cleaned, it still to this day doesn't have cynao :)
(the tangs didn't make it though)
IMG_1001.jpg

I know this isnt tank related but related to the subject of not researching an animal before getting it

Anyways a friend of mine got 2 sugar gliders with out reading up on the intense care they need and proper diet, months later his female died due to not being fed the right food and not getting looked at by a vet right after getting the animals. Turns out i would be taking care of the sweet male glider for the weekend, that weekend turned to months where i was forced to look up proper care knowing that the food he had was bad for them so i ended up rushing out to the store getting fresh fruits/veggies and ordering a good food where you just add water to it. I offered to pay him to keep the animal and no more then a week after saying that the glider dies, cause unknown but probably from being sick to begin with. I did not own the glider yet so i couldnt take it to the vet sad as it was and he still insisted i give him 200 for dead animal. the deal was that it was for a live animal not dead and his stupid ex was the one pressuring him because he had a kid with her

I hate people that dont research and end up complaining when something goes wrong, i lost all respect for him and it pretty much ended what friendship we did have :(
That is sad. I hate those people that don't research.
Actually, I was that person a year ago. I tried getting into saltwater a year ago by buying cuttlefish of all things. I kept on telling myself it was fine, when it obviously was not, and it died days after being put in the tank. I got into cps to redeem myself. Whenever I find my thoughts straying into thinking, "It'll do fine!", I don't get whatever I'm thinking of.
The only good side is that I didn't blame others for my mistakes; I learned instead.

Back