What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Carpet Anemone

• Thread starter DonH
  • Start date
My saltwater tank with a large blue carpet anemone (Stichodactyla haddoni) and a platinum clown fish.

image_zps4180a1c9.jpg

image_zpsbb32756f.jpg

image_zps2a3cd2b2.jpg

beautiful :) how wide is that anemone

Thanks. When it stretches out, about 20".

Very nice

looks like you need a better camera ;)
such a magnificent acquisition. best of luck, or skill with it! may it be an immortal under your care.

I have a camera but it's so much easier for a lazy person like me to snap shots with his iphone and download it to photobucket. LOL It's under 400W 20K Radiums, so it's really difficult to catch the true color of it. It looks a lot nicer in person and is more of a turquoise blue.

Wow.... nice!

Nice! Where did you get it? Did you grow it to that size?
It looks like a wild colony.

I bought it from a wholesaler near LAX over 2 1/2 years ago when it was much smaller.

I dug up some old pictures of it back in May 2010.

post-1539-1274690573.jpg

With the metal halides off and taken with flash:

post-1539-1274690647.jpg

post-1539-1274946909.jpg

post-1539-1274946895.jpg

Here's a red haddoni I had.
post-1539-1270707923.jpg

post-1539-1270707980.jpg

post-1539-1270708022.jpg

By GOD! That thing dominates the whole tank!

What happened to the red? Those are so expensive, like $500 aren't they?

My dad had a carpet anenome in his saltwater tank when I was little. The thing ate almost every fish in the tank.

My dad had a carpet anenome in his saltwater tank when I was little. The thing ate almost every fish in the tank.

Yup, that's what they're known for. Sometimes they will even eat clownfish, it isn't uncommon... But they're super awesome. The stings are terrible and they're super sticky. Some people have gotten bad rashes from them, but I never got any problems with even my soft skin touching anemones. Then again, never had a carpet. They're like super nems.

What happened to the red? Those are so expensive, like $500 aren't they?

It died when I moved it to another tank. :( A red that size can fetch $450 - 500 and sometimes much more if the color was a deeper red. Fortunately, I can get them from the wholesalers for almost half that price.

The tank with the blue carpet used to have a bunch of fish. One by one, over time, they all disappeared until I'm left with one lone platinum clown. I don't get a bad reaction from the anemone's sting but it does feel weird.

I thought this was a cute pic...

image_zpsec191a7e.jpg

Looks rather percula to me!

wow that is amazing!

Back