What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adnedarn's reef tank....build and progress

I have no doubt that the processors add the bacteria that they claim is in their product. But the fact is that the bacteria in question they add do not live in the water column, they are benthic in nature. In short order they form a biofilm on the surface of the container, and unless it's scraped off it doesn't enter the tank when the water is poured in. The things which boxofrain are talking about are the plankton normally found in seawater. They are filtered out before the water is packaged, because they would invariably die in the conditions under which the water is stored before sale. Furthermore, not everything floating around in natural seawater is something you would want in a reef tank. I used to collect natural seawater to perform aquatic bioassays at a lab I worked at, and after a day you can see a fine film of detritus on the bottom of the container which is the dead plankton. We then transferred the water to clean containers before using it. I have also collected seawater specifically for the plankton to be used in the rearing of captive bred marine fish. Two very different scenarios.

Thanks, I am now smarter than I was yesterday!

I'm not even saying they add anything ;) What I was told is it's pumped from the Catalina islands area in Ca... and there it is. There was no special promises or mentions of anything added or whatever. Other than it's a live water, so whatever that was intended to mean. I guess it maybe was some type of live when they got it... haha

So I started running an extra filter on my display tank to get it ready to set up the quarantine tank the other day.... This AM I'm watching the tank to find this little critter floating/swimming around. I have my guesses but I'll wait to see if any of you know what it is. If you do, please also share if my tank is already infested by a pest before I've gotten a start or they're fine. blah blah
Thanks!
Andrew

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ljgVSIsk8IY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cool looks like a little jellyfish

and sounds like a cockatiel :lol:

Last edited:
Here is one sitting on the front glass this evening. I'm thinking/ was confirmed (but still not positive to be honest) they are hydroid jellyfish

IMG_4374.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

Last edited:
They look pretty beautiful to be honest. Do they get any bigger or are they full size already?

They are like little ocean floating stars

As it sits with my still messy tech board.....

10443515_10152470814991505_6725356158182492326_n.jpg

I posted a build thread over on reefcentral and a local guy invited me over to his house... I walked away with an awesome start! Can't wait to finish the QT process and get them into the DT. If you notice anything in these images I should be concerned about feel free to point it out. I did treat frags with Coral Rx and a couple drops of iodine for 15-20 mins before adding them to the display tank.

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

I think we'll call this guy hawk- for his mohawk

IMG_4412.JPG

Actually I think Spike. He reminds me of the evil Grimlin haha

Wife picked out a few frags at the 4th of July sale at Fishy Bizness yesterday, 2 were open a few hours of getting them in, but this morning all 4 are.

IMG_4432.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

Picked up 3 more clowns yesterday to go along with the one that had been given to us thinking maybe they'd break off into 2 pairs or something... I did a 1 hour dip in para guard, all seemed to be doing fine except of the two we got that were out of the same tank, one of them was kinda picking on the other, so I isolated that guy into his own dip container (odd since they were in the same tank together at the store). I then acclimated them out of that into tank water and put them into a new bowl with tap water, then into the qt tank (to make sure all the para guard was rinsed off well). The light was off, but when I checked on them 3 hours later, the one that seemed to be getting picked on by his original tank mate was dead. :-\
On the brighter side, "Spike" was given to me since he was getting picked on in his original tank. In my QT tank he always just hid under the filter, even when food is dropped in, he jumps out only a few inches to get it. If the food is further than that, he retreats and lets it fall. Now with the two new guys in, he's coming out a lot more. The three of them appear to be getting along great. Not sure if it normally takes them a while to get mad at each other or whatever, but so far so good!
The new guys: (the one that died was a more typical coloration guy and was a tank mate of the oranger one)

Black/white guy is officialy "Omen" and no name on the other yet.
20140713_115930.jpg

lookin good Travis, are you going to add an anemone?

I'm Andrew :p, but yes. There will be one eventually. Gotta find one I like. Want to make sure I could keep some of this basic stuff before I made that jump. :p

Clownfish are protandrous (all Clownfish are male at birth) fish which don't live in pairs, but in groups. Within the group there's one female (the largest member), one reproductive male, (the second largest member) and the rest are spares. If the female dies the reproductive male changes sex and becomes female, and one of the spares is "promoted" to reproductive status.

I'm Andrew :p, but yes. There will be one eventually. Gotta find one I like. Want to make sure I could keep some of this basic stuff before I made that jump. :p

You should try to find one the Clownfish like! Perculas host naturally in Bubble Tips, which is a good thing, because most of the other Clown hosting species get huge. But don't be surprised if your fish prefer a coral, or even a powerhead to the anemone you introduce.

ugh sorry, what's the embarrassment emoticon? do you just type mw? In any case I'm glad your reef is coming along Gary. I've never kept clowns or anemones, I was just curious. And yes, actually the "Gary" was a joke. Sorry about that Andrew, wrong forum, wrong day, wrong brain--

Yep, bubble tip is the plan, but IIRC there are different ones to pick from... depending on preference in appearance. My concern over my group was that one or more would be a female already since they're all separate. Especially the one I was given since it was alone in a sump for a while.

No problem Mike :p it's actually the word blush inside colons

edit: This one is only $350 :p
3-22.jpg

Last edited:
Back