What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhinopias frondosa, Weedy Scorpionfish

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
A most unusual little guy:

Attachments

• IMG_20151202_120930.jpg
    IMG_20151202_120930.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 146
Cute lil bugger. Understand there is a wide range of coloration in the genus. Could be quite attractive to have a tank with different colored ones ... although I imagine cannibalism could be an issue.

We used to get these in at the shop once in a while, really cool fish. Never saw one that color though, we had mostly yellow and/or orange ones.

I've seen them red, yellow, brown, and purple, but never one that shade. The purples I've previously seen were a darker purple which leaned towards the red. This one is much lighter and leans towards the blue. It also eats better than any other I've worked with. It readily eats frozen silversides and krill just laying on the bottom, and has taken silversides from my hand. A Volitan it isn't, but most of the others I've worked with ate only living foods, so even without the great coloration this one is a winner. I can't speak to any conspecific aggression, because the fish are rare enough that I've never seen two in one place at the same time. The store I work at is one of a chain of about 10, and we could only get 2 for the whole chain. I suspect that as long as nobody could swallow anyone that several could be kept in a large home aquarium. They're ambush predators and aren't very active. Scaping the tank to provide several areas with no line of sight to each other would almost certainly work.

Last edited:
Cute lil bugger. Understand there is a wide range of coloration in the genus. Could be quite attractive to have a tank with different colored ones ... although I imagine cannibalism could be an issue.

Is that still an issue if you keep them fed enough?

Ok, be honest, who here knew that some fish shed?

Attachments

• IMG_20160108_154350.jpg
    IMG_20160108_154350.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 117
Back