What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sargassum fish

Anyone have any experience with Sargassum frog fish in a reef tank? Have the opportunity to buy one from a local reefer and just wondered about tank mates etc? Thanks all.

Tank mate selection is easy. If it fits in the Frogfish's mouth and moves, it's food, with the exception of snails, starfish, urchins, and maybe hermits. Other than that the Frogfish is more likely to be the pickee as opposed to the picker of trouble. Surprisingly the hardest part of keeping them is keeping them fed. They're an ambush predator to the max, and prefer to have their food come to them, so they often don't compete well for food. Make sure the fish is accustomed eating frozen food from feeding tongs or from hand.

Thanks John I kinda figured you would be able to give me the heads up... I appreciate it.

I keep a Sargassum Angler or Frogfish (histrio histrio) which is what I assume you are discussing, there are several other types of fish known as "sargassum fish," all hailing from the same location, the sargassum sea. The one I have is very aggressive, but if you keep them well fed they tend to stay away from other fish. They grow really fast though, so be prepared for that when you are placing them in a smaller tank. I keep mine with a yellow goby and his partner pistol shrimp (who may be dead, I haven't heard or seen him in 3 days now), royal gramma, several hermits (small enough to eat, but he really isn't interested in anything once it has touched the ground), several snails, 4 different types of mushroom coral, and a maxi-mini anemone. I hope the stocking list helps, need anything else concerning sargassum anglers?

Hello.

I would recommend that unless you have a fairly large tank, start with a smaller species of Frogfish/anglerfish. That particular species grows large and fast. Also they are best kept in a species only tank. Arowana your shrimp has probably been eaten by the sargassum fish; live shrimp are their favorite meals. Your fish are at risk also as they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth and then some. Seen a sargassum fish eat a tang that was twice his size in a friends tank. I have kept a clown frogfish for a number of years but I am very lucky and have access to live feeder saltwater shrimp. Live about 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. They love and thrive on live feeder shrimp, just do not feed to many at one time. I keep mine in a species only 20 gal tank with live rock. Regular weekly maintenace and 25% weekly water change. But these guys are preditors, so keep an eye on your nitrates.

Tank mate selection is easy. If it fits in the Frogfish's mouth and moves, it's food, with the exception of snails, starfish, urchins, and maybe hermits. Other than that the Frogfish is more likely to be the pickee as opposed to the picker of trouble. Surprisingly the hardest part of keeping them is keeping them fed. They're an ambush predator to the max, and prefer to have their food come to them, so they often don't compete well for food. Make sure the fish is accustomed eating frozen food from feeding tongs or from hand.

Don't! Start from a smaller one.

Back