What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glofish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody plan on buying the super cool Glofish next month? These fish have been genetically altered with a gene from an anemone. And they "glow" under blacklight. As of right now, these fish aren't allowed to be sold in CA
sad.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2003....ex.html
Oh yeah, and don't tell me its unethical and all that. If you don't like it, don't buy it
wink.gif

honestly... I am not sure how I feel about this yet... I guess my end opinion will be determined on whether or not the gene can breed true in natural stock...

The Zebra Danio is native to India I think, so whether it is sold here or not will really have no bearing on polluting the gene pool, except if the fish breeds in someones tank with natural stock and disperses a mixed bag of babies around, who know... I don't see it as a really big issue I guess.

But you know.. my knee jerk reaction is that this fish belongs in a tank with bubbling scuba men, wrecked plastic galleons and neon pink plastic plants... As someone who is partial to creating a native eco-system in my tanks, Perhaps I see this fish as artificial, and fitting in an artificial environment... perhaps I am overthinking it!
smile.gif

Yeah, these fish just wouldn't look right in a natural setting. I just want to see them glow under blacklight when all regular lighting has been turned off. What a sight that would be
smile.gif

i think the law about this in california is bull , i would really like to get this fish but then again , a genteically altered animal , have'nt they done enough with plants , hhhhm , i'd still like to get ahold of this fish though , i see no harm in letting it be sold in california , its not like the illegal pirhana that can kil yuh .

piranah would be hard pressed to kill you. They are illegal because they can easily adapt to north american water ways and upset the ecology.

I guess what it comes down to is 'didn't God make enough pretty fish allready?'

They've made a glow in the dark orchid that actually glows on its own without the need of a blacklight, or so I've read.
I don't know if this is true or not, since I've never seen it sold anywhere or heard anybody talk about it, but here's the link
glow in the dark orchid

I saw these yesterday when I went to That Fish Place. They were selling for $6.99 each. I would not spend my money on them. Then again I do not like the .99 ones either. I guess if you a big Zebra fan, go for it.

this topic should be in the freshwater forum . too bad i'm not a mod .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back