What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad puffers :o(

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
A few days ago I got two XL Puffers.I have them in brackish water and I'm feeding them frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp.Last night,they stopped eating
smile_h_32.gif
They both have that neon color on their foreheads,which I read was a sign that they are happy.But,the neon color never goes away,which I read was bad if they stay the same color for days at a time.I don't know what to do.I don't know what is wrong.I have one of those things that tells me how much salt is in the tank and I put it in the water about 10 different times,and each time it gave me a different reading.Does anyone have any ideas as to why my poor babies aren't eating.I really don't want to lose them
smile_h_32.gif
~Niki~
smile_h_32.gif

I'm losing them fast!They're only using one of their fins,but I checked and both of the fins are there,I don't know what's going on.They're not gonna live for much longer.I need help,fast!~Niki~
smile_h_32.gif

How long has the tank been set up?

I took some water to the pet store to be tested,and it showed that my ph was WAY too low.It was at 4 and it needs to be at 7-7.5.So I bought some coral which will help the ph rise.I also have some ph decreaser that I put in and that should help as well.I also did a partial water change.I'm really hoping that this will solve my problem.~Niki~

I think that what Elgecko was asking is if the tank has had the opportunity to go through the Nitrogen cycle, where "good" bacteria has broken down poisonous ammonia & nitrites. There may be a pH issue, but there may be other issues besides.

The tank was set up for about 2 weeks I think before I got the Puffy's.Is that enough time?Also,I added the coral,I added the drops,and nothing has changed so far.I added more salt because apparently that was low as well,and I think my salt device thingy is broken,so I have no idea how much salt is in there.I don't know why the ph isn't rising yet.It's been over 2 hours.~Niki~
smile_h_32.gif

It may not have been enough time for the tank the cycle. The way to make sure is to get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

2 weeks is not enough time for the Nitrogen Cycle to complete. At about 2 weeks is when the ammonia spike hits it's highest point, and is deadly to most fish.
I always wait at least a month, and have always added fish flake food 1 or 2 times a week to the tank water while cycling.

You will want to make several water changes a week to dilute the ammonia. Also you mentioned about a PH decreaser, that is going the wrong way, lowering the PH. You will want PH increaser to raise the PH. Something else to think about is that PH swings can be just as hard on fish.

This link might help:
http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Hope your puffer pulls through.

Haha,did I say ph decreaser??I meant increaser
smile_n_32.gif
Anyways,great news!My puffers are doing great!They are back to their old spunky selves.They started to eat again last night.I am so relieved!Thanks for all the info guys
laugh.gif
~Niki~

Congratulations!

Thanks Jimmy
smile.gif
~Niki~

No problem, I'd do the same for a Canadian!
smile_m_32.gif

what stimuli are required to make a pufferfish puff?

You gotta P them off!
smile_n_32.gif
~Niki~

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cplantlover2 @ Aug. 08 2005,3:50)]what stimuli are required to make a pufferfish puff?
They sell them at pet shops here and they are very happy and friendly little things, always swimming up to the tank to greet whoever is there
I tried tapping on the tank but they wouldnt puff up, so I guess the only ay to do it is to poke them with a stick lol

thats agresive = (, i tink they dont like to be poked, just like carnivorous plants, if u toch them they stress, if u wach them u enjoy having them long time = ).

I just always wantedd to see a pufferfish puff!

If you pick them up in your hand they will likely puff up.

Their spines arn't poisonous are they? I mean like their body is? Cause you know if you eat it and its cooked wrong you usually die.....or somtimes go into a state of living death!

There are many species of puffers out there. I still wouldn't eat one, but if I remember correctly, what she has are harmless to pick up.

Back