What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera burmanni

I've been looking around for ages trying to find a D. burmanni and no one seems to sell them. Cook's was selling a few for a while but they're sold out now. Any ideas?

By the way, I have some seed sown and they've yet to germinate. I'm thinking that they might not germinate at all, which is really sad, so I'm looking to get an actual plant to get my army of D. burmanni started.

Oh and one last thing. Has anyone grown D. burmanni from seed before? How long did it take to germinate? The guys over at Cobraplant.com said it can take upwards of 5 weeks for them to sprout, despite them being fast growing annuals.

Hello. I grew some from seed a while back but don't recall the time it took for germination. Now these things are weeds all over in everything. It seems like if i don't get to cutting the old flower stalks off soon enough, they are germinating in the the next pot over within just a few weeks.... good luck

Would you perhaps know how long it takes them to reach flowering maturity?

Oh wow... VERY quickly. I'd say i've seen them flower in 3 weeks? But i've never actually taken notes. Did you see the picture of my VFT that had the D. burmanni weeds in it?

Oh, were those pictures yours? The ping that was being choked out by the burmannis? Hahaha! I loved those pictures. So three weeks? That IS quick. darn, I really wish my seed would germinate...

Actually, I think I saw someone else's pictures. Would you mind posting the picture you're talking about?

Nope, the ping pic was someone else.. I only posted some seedling VFTS...

newmedia.jpg

This pic was maybe almost 2 weeks after germination. And they flowered a week or 2 later... and have flowered twice more since then. haha. i don't know if it is the same plants (prolly not) or new plants grown up from weed seed....
smile_n_32.gif

Andrew

Good lord that's a sweet picture!!! Dang it, that's what I want!

What kind of conditions were you growing them under? I think I'm going to just send for some more burmanni seed from the ICPS seed bank and try to start over and see what happens.

Really sweet picture again, by the way
cool.gif

That's in my GH... so about 65% humidity nights about 75 and days about 90 or so... i have seeds... if you PM me your addy i'll get ya some... The packs are mixed... green form *bearwah something* and 'red tentacle' this pic is the green ones... i think the ones i have the most seed of now are the red tentacle....
andrew

That'd be Beerwah, a town in Queensland Australia.

This is the Ping photo. Note the Burmanni red in the adjacent Ping pot.
burmannii_takeover_2.sized.jpg

How did your D. burmanni mature so fast? You said that was 2 weeks after germination? I have some that have germinated but they are still very small.

Now that you've mentioned that Outsiders, I remember being told by someone on this forum that it takes roughly 2 months for them to mature. Perhaps some burmanni grow faster than others?

What a lovely picture of the ping/drosera. The pink is in wonderful contrast to the green.

Hmmm.... How? Not sure I can answer that.
smile_m_32.gif
But I assure you it was NOT 2 months!

Hey adnedarn, did you ever recieve my PM about the burmanni seeds?

Has anyone actually watched D. burmanni envelop its prey? Does it really move as fast as everyone says it does?

Also, how long does the average burmanni live before it dies off?

yes I did. No i have not seen it eat. But I know they do move alot. I have a cool picture that shows the holding capacity of one of these...
burmaniinoescape.jpg

What do you think of that?!!
Back when I grew them one or so to a pot.. they died after providing seed. But now, new "weeds" are growing by the time the other is dying... Constant rotation, never a dry pot.
Andrew

That's sweet
cool.gif
It looks like a freaking Venus Flytrap leaf!

Hahaha, every time I see pictures of D. burmanni I want to grow them more and more!

Back