What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants = escape artists?

I have tried feeding my capensis several ants over the last few days and the ants seem intelligent/strong enough to escape from the tenticals everytime. Once an ant was stuck for about 5 hrs then when I came back and checked the ant was gone so I'm assuming it escaped also. What is the best type of bug to feed to capensis sundews? dead? chilled?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gorkster @ Sep. 28 2005,2:00)]I have tried feeding my capensis several ants over the last few days and the ants seem intelligent/strong enough to escape from the tenticals everytime. Once an ant was stuck for about 5 hrs then when I came back and checked the ant was gone so I'm assuming it escaped also. What is the best type of bug to feed to capensis sundews? dead? chilled?
Well, I take a milk jug and cut holes in it near the top. Then, I put a few pieces of banana and apple in the milk jug. Then, after a few days I take a jar and stick it up to the hole and blow through the hole in the jug. Finally, I stick the jar in the freezer for a few minutes and take tweezers and take the fruit flys and put them on my sundews.

BTW- Another common problem with bugs not sticking is lack of light. Unless you have D.capensis 'albino', the tentacles should be a dark crimson red.

dewy

I know what you mean about the ants. Many times they can be strong enough to get away. In those instances I'll usually push them down flatter against the leaf so more goo sticks to them.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of attracting fruit flies, you can go to a local pet shop and buy a can of flightless fruit flies. I use them all the time to feed my sundews and they work great. If you want more info on my plants (or just carnivorous plants in general) you can check out my website: Mitch's Carnivores

Back