What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. intermedia

My D. intermedia has formed what looks like a hibernacula. If I'm correct, these don't require a dormancy. It was receiving bright light over the summer, and now it started receiving direct sunlight again (I know....seems kind of backwards, but that's how my apartment is). When it started receiving direct sunlight it seemed like the growth slowed and there are a bunch of little round things in the center.....almost like hibernacula. One of them has slowly started to grow into a new leaf though. All the leaves were red, and the new one is green.

I assume it must have gone into a little shock when it started getting full sun compared to the bright light. I'm hoping it will keep growing well. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Joel

Joel, can you post a picture? While it may be getting direct sunlight, the photoperiod is declining, in general. Does it have a clenched fist sort of an appearance?

Intermedia do require dormancy. My 2 outside have declined into the fist like thing Jimscott is talking about.

D. intermedia originating in temperate regions does have a dormancy. Where's your plant from? Unless it's from Cuba or Central America or another tropical strain, it's probably going into dormancy. My D. filiformis started going dormant recently, and it wasn't much like what I'd imagined - the first hibernacula I was familiar with were the succulent hibernacula of some Pinguicula species. Drosera hibernacula look kind of like boogers to me. Go figure. A picture would be helpful. You can take a look on BobZ's CP photo finder to see what hibernacula look like.
~Joe

PS - Here's one from Galleria Carnivora of D. rotundifolia in dormancy:
drotu09.jpg
Is it like that?

I can vouch for what Joe has said about D. filiformis. Last November it was reduced to an ugly black mass. I thought I had killed it, but after I brought it in, several weeks later, I saw green leaves appear. I hadn't killed it at all. It was dormant. As was my D. binata. As was said earlier, the temperate / more northern ones do go dormant, so I have read, but not experienced yet. To me, the D. filiformis looked like a black, clenched fist.

My D. filiformis just looks like a little red ball where the growth point was, with a waxy coating that gives the whole affair a slimy, booger look. My D. anglica has hibernacula that look more like the D. rotundifolia there, kind of a fist looking affair, or the little balls like Joel reported.
~Joe

I will try and post a picture, but yeah, it does kind of look like the picture Joe posted. I hope it's in dormancy! I thought I had done something wrong too. Isn't this pretty early for it to go dormant? Should I do anything with it or is it ok in the window. The window is above a heater, so it does get kind of warm during the winter days, and cool during the nights. Thanks for the input guys.

Early????? No way! It is just the right time. Wanna know how I know this?? Because the plant already told you by going into dormancy. Some intermedia in the wild have been in dormancy since the beginning of September. Depends on where you are, photoperiod and growing conditions. No matter what, d. intermedia HAS to have dormancy or you won't be seeing it next year. Which form do you have? How big is it? I have the Carolina Giant form that grows 3 to 4 inch leaves in good conditions.

Is it ok to still receive direct sunlight, or does it like less light like venus fly traps? Can I just let it be? I suppose it knows when it should go dormant
smile.gif
I have to remind myself that they know what they are doing lol. Cool plants.

I'm not sure what form it is. I got it from Copper last summer. It was pretty small then.....I would say it is somewhere in between 1 and 2 years old. It went dormant last year on my windowsill in the dorms...the windowsill got pretty chilly and didn't get any direct sunlight.

After it "woke up" last year.....it started growing like crazy. Hopefully it will do the same this year. I'll post a picture of it when I get back to my apartment.

Back