What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
EDIT: I HAVE NOW READ MANY POSTING CONCERNING DROSERA DORMANCY GOING BACK THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS. I STILL POSE THE FOLLOWING 3 QUESTIONS AND I HAVE ADDED TO THEM!

1 - I read in Savage Garden that dichotoma small red form goes dormant in late summer while its seed germinate, sprout, and mature. The mother plant then returns in the spring. The mother did indeed die back in the heat of late July and soon after new growth appeared. Living now in south Louisiana with a hot summer and mild winter, I wonder if it would be OK to winter the plant in a small greenhouse rather than expose it to the few freezes we will get. Will this disturb the dormancy of the mother plant yet allow the babies to mature more before their summer dormancy?
I LEFT IT OUT LAST YEAR AND IT WAS OK, IT BROKE DORMANCY IN JAN.

2 - how "brief" is the dormancy for D dichotoma "Giant"?
  CAN IT GO WITHOUT?

3 - Can venusta survive with no dormancy? What are appropriate temp ranges for growth?

4 - I RECENTLY RECEIVED A SMALL D BINATA, CAN IT GO THIS YEAR WITH NO DORMANCY? I WOULD LIKE IT TO GET SLIGHTLY LARGER.

5 - I PULLED SMALL PLUGS OF BOTH DICHOTOMA "GIANT" AND "RED DWARF" THIS SUMMER AND POTTED THEM FOR TRADE. SHOULD I ALLOW THEM TO GO DORMANT AND THEN WAIT FOR SPRING TO OFFER, OR CAN THEY SAFELY BE SENT IN OCT?

No one has any advice at all for me? Not a smidgen, not even a "good luck!" ?
confused.gif

I have D. cocchicaulis plants, which I have seen written interchangeably with D. venusta. They were started from seed last summer and were kept outside from June through mid-November. TThis is in Reading, Pennsylvania. They didn't experience freezing temps, but it got into the 30's. I brought them inside and placed them at a window sill and they made it through the winter that way. The temps inside got as low as the 60's. A plant flowered for me this year. I can't say that they went dormant, but they did get a natural reduced photoperiod and fairly cold temps. No advice - just what they lived through.

I didn't have D. dichotoma, but I have plainold D. binata. I was given a young plant last summer and also kept it outside until mid-November. When I brought it in, it had died back, forming a hibernaculum. In mid-January, it began sending up new leaves and it had clumped. By spring it began flowering.

Advice? A young plant, presumably germinated earlier in the year last year went dormant for at least 2 months and came out of it on its own. It rewarded me with flowers. I look at it this way, in nature, newly germinated plants of dormancy requiring species, go through a dormancy, whether they like it or not. Maybe a few don't survive, but where they are indigeonous, they have adapted.

I get the impression from your questions that you would rather have them skip dormancy, and you may or probably get by. I recommend a dormancy for those that would normally expect it, irregardless of whether they a less than a year old or not. They do seem to make for a stronger plant the next year.

That seems to make sense, I will let them go dormant for a short while and then bring them in before any freezes (because they are in very small pots).
I am not sure where D binata dichotoma is found naturally, so I have been unsure what it should experience.

Thanks for the advice, Jim!

Back