What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
In the past year I have had troubles with aphids on only D. capensis. spatulata, and adelae - all warm weather types. in contrast, while my D. binatas, filiformis', rotundifolia, intermedia, etc... have been outside, they haven't gotten anything. Is that just a coincidence or is there cause-and-effect? And why do they seem to congregate on flower stalks?

They probably like the flower stalks because that's the only part of the plant not covered in caustic goop. When my D. binata got aphids, they were all over the petioles and kept clear of the leaves. I think it could be an indoor/outdoor thing, not necessarily the plants' climate of origin; pests like plants indoors because they don't have to deal with harsh changes in weather and natural predators.
~Joe

The stalks also have dew, but apparently not enough to say so. Seems odd that only those three tropical sundews would be affected by the aphids while the temperate sundews weren't, even though they were all outside and together.

Back