What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera peltata question

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I started some Drosera peltata seeds earlier this year. They never grew a main stalk. It just stayed as a rosette plant.
They now are dying back.
Does the main stem grow the first year after they germinate?

Hello elgecko. Yes, they do produce vertical stems their 1st year. When I grew D. peltata from seed a few years back, they produced vertical stems after a few months time... I don't know if this is "normal" or not.

-Homer

I started some D. peltata seeds a few days ago, so in a few months I'll post and let you know if my plants form stems or not. I really hope they do though, because the tall stems are what made me want to try to grow this plant...

First year growing these guys are a bit tricky, for me atleast. Out of like 10(?) seedings only four of them grew a vertical stem. Out of those four only two of them created a tuber... Sort of a bummer really since they were growing from November to early June, you would think they would make something out of it.
confused.gif

Is it bad to store this species in the fridge?

I wouldn't since they are winter growers in the first place. I just stuck mine in a bag and right into a dark cabinet.

smile_h_32.gif
, they are probably goners by now. I had them in the fridge for months.

I was given seeds last year and a few plants sprouted, growing vertical stems. By this summer, the plants just disappeared. I understand that this is normal and I should expect to see the re-appear in November. I'm stilll waiting...but...  
smile_h_32.gif

mine last year sprouted as a rosette outside and then as it got to cold i brought it in and then it shot up as a vertical stem all winter and bloomed its first year.

Typically how long does it take for the plant to go from sprouting to creating the vertical stem? My seedlings are about a week and a half old right now.

Back