What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potting mix

Whats are the best things to use when planting Sundews and how muchof it should i use??

For most dews I use equal parts of peat moss, sand, and LFS.

I just mix sand & peat and then add the LFS on top.

The answer depends on the species, but for me, I plant most baby dews in LFS with a little orchid bark (this dramatically reduces fungal problems for me), and as they mature and harden to the growing conditions, I may transplant them into a loose mix of 2:1 perlite:peat topdressed with LFS.  I've never had much luck using silica sand as it makes the medium too dense.....but that's probably because I'm an idiot and add too much.
smile.gif

However, all of these are generalizations and there are some species that like sandier mixes, etc. Also, what works for one set of environmental conditions may not work for another.....someone in damp England may wish to make the soil looser and hold less water because of the many dreary days they get.....but someone in mexico may prefer a mix that holds more water so the plants don't quickly dry on a hot day or so he can water less often, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Oct. 18 2005,4:28)]The answer depends on the species,...
For pigmy sundews the peat and sand mix should be more like 2:1 or 3:1, sand:peat. Orchid bark for reducing fungal infections? I will keep that in mind. I know that people tend to use that for "Nep mixes".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Orchid bark for reducing fungal infections? I will keep that in mind

Oops, maybe I should clarify. I meant the LFS (either as a medium or topdressing) seems to reduce damping off and other nasty fungal problems for me. I just use the bark to further loosen the mix.
smile.gif

Ah, okay... I wonder if LFS cures acne, too!
smile_m_32.gif

I think you might be onto something.....who says fortunes can't be made directly or indirectly through cultivating CPs!
smile_m_32.gif

Back