What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosphyllum or d. filiformis

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have this one pot that that was originally labeled D. binata, but I now have a G. hispidula in there. I removed the lone D. binata seedling and noticed a two-leafed seedlimg of what either is a D. filiformis or a Drosophyllum. Neither plant or seed was intentioanlly placed in there. I do have 4 Drosphyllum seeds, but they are in differnt tray and ungerminated. I also have 3 types of D. filiformis, but they are either at home or in different trays. I haven't a clue as to how this seedling got there or what it is and the two entirely different plants look too much alike to me. The only things I can say about it is that it is green, has 2 dewy leaves, and the density of its tentacles is less than that of any of the D. filiformis I currently have (ssp. filiformis, alleged red, and Califormia Sunset). I know a picture would be helpful, but a written description is all that I have for now. Any ideas?

drosophyllum leaves open up in the opposite direction than Drosera and the glands are on the opposite side.

Hmmmm, perhaps someone snuck in during the night and placed mystery seed in your pot! That doesn't help, does it?
smile_n_32.gif

No, it doesn't, but then again, a lot of my quips don't help, either!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
I think it's just a plain old filiformis. I knew it was too good to be true!

Bummer. Look at it this way: Thread-Leaf sundews are really cool.

See, problem solved
smile_m_32.gif

I have had numerous "mutant" binata leaves that are singltons without petiol. They have all been on mature binata form plants and they neverdevelope into while rosettes so I know it isn't a rogue filiformis in the pot. Maybe you have something similar??

Now there's a thought! At least that's logical. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Back